RETI DI CALCOLATORI - MOD.1
|Official course title||RETI DI CALCOLATORI - MOD.1|
|University credits||6 of 9 of RETI DI CALCOLATORI|
|Degree level||First Cycle Degree M.D.270|
|Educational sector code||INF/01|
Degree Programmes and curricula
Other parts of the course
Introduction to computer networks and network architecture models. Principles of network design: issues, protocols, and services. Internetworking, routing, flow and congestion control. Communication and naming in distributed systems. Case studies.
1. Introduction to computer networks. Design choices and main issues. Classification: topologies, types of networks. MAN, LAN, WAN. Protocols and services. Performances. ISO/OSI model. TCP/IP protocols. Internetworking. Common issues: type of connection, routing, flow and congestion control.
2. Physical and data-link layers. Transmission media. Error control. Flow control. Sliding window protocols. Stop and go. Go-back-n protocols and selective repeat. Performances.
3. MAC and networks layers. LAN. Ethernet, token ring, and ATM networks. Static and dynamic routing algorithms. Flow and congestion control. IP protocol.
4. Transport layer. Protocols, buffering, flow and congestion control. Multiplexing. UDP and TCP protocols. Three-way handshaking. Examples.
5. Application level. Application level protocols. Example of applications. E-mail. HTTP protocol. Type of web documents. Principles of security in computer networks.
6. Communication and naming. Communication between processes in distributed systems and computer networks. Primitives. Multicast. Name resolution and name service. Case studies.
Recommended Reading List
A.Tanenbaum, Computer Networks (IVed.), Prentice Hall 2003.
J.F. Kurose, K.W. Ross, Computer Networking, a top-down approach, Pearson-Addison Wesley, 2003;
D.E. Comer "Computer Networks and Internet" . Prentice Hall 1997;
M.Sloman, J. Kramer "Distributed systems and Computer Networks" Prentice-Hall;
G. Coulouris, J. Dollimore and T. Kindberg, "Distributed Systems: concepts and design", 3nd edition, Addison Wesley Masson, 2001.
D.E. Comer, Internetworking con TCP/IP (V edizione), Prentice Hall, 2006.
written and oral