- Who can borrow from the Language Sciences Library?
- What Do I Need to Borrow Library Materials?
- What can I borrow?
- How Many Items Can I Borrow, and for How Long?
- How Do I Know when an Item Is Overdue?
- How can I renew books?
- Where should books be returned to?
- What happens in case of loss or damage?
You may borrow items from the library if you are:
- a faculty member or a member of the technical-administrative staff, a currently enrolled student of Ca' Foscari University of Venice, or a graduate (within one year from the graduation) of the Faculty of Foreign Languages and Literatures of Ca' Foscari;
- an affiliate student of Ca' Foscari University of Venice (for example Erasmus students, visiting students, etc.);
- a visiting professor/researcher at Ca' Foscari University of Venice.
Even if you do not belong to one of the above groups, you can borrow items from the Library of Language Sciences, but you will need to request authorisation at the Information Desk.
- First of all, you need to register at the Information Desk.
- To do this, you will need to complete a Library registration form with your personal details, and show a valid document of identification (passport, identity card, tax payer code or university card). Please note that you will not need to re-register at the Library of Language Sciences if you are a student, affiliate student (e.g. Erasmus students), a professor or a member of the administrative staff of Ca' Foscari and you have already used the borrowing service in any one of the other libraries. As a matter of fact the university library database is centralized, although you may find that the borrowing rules and conditions will vary depending on the library.
- In case of changes to your address or telephone/mobile number, please immediately notify the library.
A big part of book materials can be borrowed by registered users. Items in the following categories cannot be borrowed:
- Reference collection. Shelfmark: CONS, REF, DIZ
- Textbooks and workbooks reserved for departmental courses. Shelfmark: TE
- Special Collections such as "Syntax and Semantics", or some Indo-european reference grammars (Shelfmark includes "GRA")
- Theses, Working Papers, Journals (please note that some journals are however accessible online. For a list of journals click here ; notice that pink titles are direct links to the relevant resources).
CDs and DVDs are available for short loans only, and must be returned within 24 hours.
If you are unsure of the status of an item, please ask the Information Desk.
Borrowing privileges are the following:
- Ca' Foscari students: 3 items for a maximum of 30 days
- Ca' Foscari PhD students: 3 items for a maximum of 30 days
- Affiliate students (e.g. Erasmus): 3 items for a maximum of 30 days
- Technical and administrative staff: 3 items for a maximum of 30 days
- Alumni of the Faculty of Foreign Languages and Literatures, Ca' Foscari (within one year of graduation) : 3 items for a maximum of 30 days
- Faculty of Foreign Languages and Literatures Academic Staff : 10 items for a maximum of 60 days
- Ca' Foscari Academic Staff : 3 items for a maximum of 30 days
- Individuals not belonging to the university of Ca' Foscari (external users) : 1 item for a maximum of 15 days
You can find out the return date of the item you have borrowed by looking at its record in the online catalogue. To go to Ca' Foscari OPAC, please click here. Click on "ricerca per liste di titoli, di autori o di soggetti" and enter the title of the item you have borrowed. The search results will appear to the left of the screen. Once you have identified the item in question, the bibliographic entry will appear to the right of the screen. Scroll down to the column "Disponibilità" (i.e. availability) to see the return date.
Loan can be renewed for a further period of fifteen days, if the item has not been recalled by another user. Renewals can be made by email (email@example.com), by phone or in person.
Please note that we will not renew items that are long overdue.
- Books should always be returned to the library from which they were borrowed.
- Loans must be returned to the Information Desk during opening hours.
Lost or damaged library materials must be returned promptly to the Information Desk. Payment may be required for their replacement.