How to get to Ca' Foscari
Ca’ Foscari (also known as Palazzo Foscari), a Venetian Gothic palace sitting on the widest bend of the Grand Canal, is the main building of Ca’ Foscari University of Venice and the source of the university’s name.
Its address is: Ca’ Foscari, Dorsoduro 3246, 30123 Venice (Italy). Here a peculiarity of Venetian addresses is evident: no street or square (in Venice substituted by ‘calle’ and ‘campo’ or ‘campiello’) is cited, rather the name of the so-called ‘sestiere’ where the building is located appears (one of six districts that the town is divided into) and the civic number of the building.
Various offices belonging to the university central administration are located here, including the Student Services and Educational Programmes Division (DSSOF), that includes: the Educational Programmes, Student Administration, Financial Aid and Graduate Students Section; the Guidance and Counselling, Internship and Placement Section; and the International Relations Office.
- How to get to Ca’ Foscari
- Disabled accessible route to Ca’ Foscari
- Accessibility of Ca’ Foscari palace
- Useful links: maps, transportation and contacts
- From Piazzale Roma or from “Venice Santa Lucia” train station
Ca’ Foscari can be reached on foot in approximately 15 minutes from both Piazzale Roma (bus station and car parking terminal) and “Venice Santa Lucia” train station.
By vaporetto (i.e. public boat service), from either the “Ferrovia” or “Piazzale Roma” stop, take either Line 1 or Line 2 and get off at the “San Tomà” stop, which is the one closest to Ca’ Foscari. Vaporetto schedules and routes can be found on ACTV website, the Public Transportation Authority of Venice.
For an interactive map of Venice with routes for getting to Ca’ Foscari from Piazzale Roma or “Venice Santa Lucia” train station, please click here [IT].
- From “Marco Polo” Airport of Venice
For those who arrive at “Marco Polo” Airport, there are connecting bus services run by the A.C.T.V. and A.T.V.O. companies. Buses reach Piazzale Roma (bus station and car parking terminal of Venice) in approximately 20 minutes. From Piazzale Roma, follow the indications supplied in the paragraph above to get to Ca’ Foscari on foot or by vaporetto.
- From “Canova” Airport of Treviso
For those who arrive at “Canova” Airport of Treviso, there are connecting bus services run by A.T.V.O. and Brusutti companies. Buses reach Piazzale Roma (bus station and car parking terminal of Venice) in approximately 60 minutes. From Piazzale Roma, follow the indications supplied in the paragraph above to get to Ca’ Foscari on foot or by vaporetto.
- Private water taxi and taxi services from the airports
The principal pick up points for private taxi service are located in:
- “Venice Santa Lucia” train station: water taxis are available 24 hours a day from the dock in front of the station;
- Piazzale Roma: water taxis are available 24 hours a day from the dock at Piazzale Roma;
- “Marco Polo” Airport of Venice: both standard taxis and water taxis are available 24 hour a day.
- “Canova” Airport of Treviso: taxis for Piazzale Roma are available 24 hours a day (in front of the passenger terminal).
Frequently Venice is thought to be an inaccessible town encumbered by architectural barriers (bridges, steps, and so forth), however the town is far more accessible than one would imagine, thanks to the public transportation services and to the works carried out by the municipality: as a matter of fact 15 of the 27 university buildings checked can be easily reached by persons for whom mobility is difficult.
In particular to get to Ca’ Foscari without any architectural barriers you should take the Line 2 vaporetto, or the Line 61 motor-boat (which can accommodate one wheelchair at a time) from the “Ferrovia” stop, the “Piazzale Roma” stop or the “Tronchetto” stop and get off at the “San Basilio” stop.
From there, take Calle del Vento, crossing the Campo San Basilio (sign reads “San Basegio”) and continue to Fondamenta San Basilio, which turns into Fondamenta San Sebastiano.
At the end of Fondamenta San Sebastiano, turn right, taking Fondamenta del Soccorso. Continue straight to Campo dei Carmini (keeping the Church of the same name on your right). Cross Campo dei Carmini and take Calle de la Scuola to Campo Santa Margherita.
Once in Campo Santa Margherita, continue straight on, keeping the open area and the building located in the centre on your left. Head toward Rio Terra’ Canal, which is located in front of you and enter Calle de Mezo de la Vida (on the left side of Rio Terra’ Canal).
At the end, turn left into Calle de la Vida and then immediately turn right into Calle de la Madonna (passing under the portico of the same name).
Follow this calle to Campiello dei Squellini, from there turn left into Calle Foscari. The entrance to Ca’ Foscari is at the end of Calle Foscari just before the Calle Foscari bridge.
Spread over several floors, the building is partially accessible and has several accessible toilets on various floors.
Many of the university administration offices are located here, and in particular those of the Student Services and Educational Programmes Division - DSSOF (on the ground floor, first floor) are accessible:
- offices on the ground floor: caretaker’s lodge; Welcome Desk and Public Relations Service - URP; Student Administration Offices; Diploma Delivery Service;
- offices on the first floor: Financial Aid Office (and Administrative Services for Part-Time Students); Welcome and Enrolment Service (and Enrolment Service for International Students); Guidance and Counselling Services (and Counselling Service for International Students, Disabled Student Services); Internship and Placement Services; International Relations Office (and International Mobility Service); Educational Programmes and Databases Office (Research Doctorates and Doctoral Schools; Professional Licensing Examinations; etc.).
Maps and routes:
- Interactive map of Venice with routes for getting to Ca’ Foscari [IT] from Piazzale Roma, from “Venice Santa Lucia” train station and routes without architectural barriers
- Disabled accessible route to Ca' Foscari [IT], also available into the Downloads table of this webpage
- Accessible buildings of Ca’ Foscari University: maps and routes [IT]
- Marco Polo Airport, Venice
- Casanova Airport, Treviso
- A.C.T.V. - Azienda del Consorzio Trasporti Veneziano [bus services]
- A.T.V.O. - Azienda Trasporti Veneto Orientale [bus services]
- FS - Ferrovie dello Stato [national train services]