CONTEMPORARY CHINESE SOCIETY
|Academic year||2015/2016 Syllabus of previous years|
|Official course title||SOCIETA' CINESE CONTEMPORANEA|
|Course code||LT2500 (AF:175234 AR:78324)|
|Modality||For teaching methods (in presence/online) please check the timetable|
|Degree level||Bachelor's Degree Programme|
|Educational sector code||L-OR/21|
(2) Providing a descriptive analysis of major bottlenecks of China's current development model, related policies and phenomena of societal pressure and public participation.
(2) Formal and informal methods of public participation to decision making processes.
(3) Case studies:
(3a) Health care and social security;
(3b) Environmental management;
1. Saich, Tony. Governance and Politics of China, 3rd ed.; Palgrave & McMillan: Houndmills, UK, 2011. (Cap.2, Cap.4 pp. 95-107, Cap.5,6,7,8,9, Cap.11, Cap.13). For those who purchased the 4th edition: Cap.2 pp. 58-64, Cap.4,5,6,7, Cap.10,12
2. Lawrence, Susan V. 2013. China's Political Institutions and Leaders in Charts. Washington DC: Congressional Research Service. Available online at: https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/R43303.pdf
3. Melton, Oliver. 2015. China’s Five-Year Planning System: Implications for the Reform Agenda. Testimony for the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission. Available online at http://www.uscc.gov/sites/default/files/Melton%20-%20Written%20Testimony.pdf .
4. Brombal, Daniele. 2011. Health Care System Reform in Contemporary P.R.China: Public Agenda, Private Interests and Global Interactions , Proceedings of the Fourth Next-Generation Global Workshop "Nation-States and Beyond. Private and Public Spheres under Globalization", Kyoto, Kyoto University, pp. 167-183. Available online at: https://www.gcoe-intimacy.jp/images/library/File/4rd_next-generation_ws/04Changing%20Family%20and%20Social%20Policy/1_%20Daniel%20Brombal.pdf
5. Looney, Kristen, Rithmire, Meg. 2016. Urbanization with Chinese Characteristics? China's Gamble for Modernization. Harvard Business School Working Paper 16-083. Available online at: http://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Publication%20Files/UrbanizationChina_RithmireLooney_notes_055bd268-913f-4c1c-8bb0-8c14c8855b83.pdf
- Lecture notes, material for reference or for self-assessment available online or as e-book