PROBABILITY AND STATISTICS
|Academic year||2018/2019 Syllabus of previous years|
|Official course title||PROBABILITA' E STATISTICA|
|Course code||CT0111 (AF:248799 AR:136462)|
|Modality||On campus classes|
|Degree level||Bachelor's Degree Programme|
|Educational sector code||SECS-S/01|
|Spazio Moodle||Link allo spazio del corso|
The course provides knowledge of probability, as well as skills in the use of specific programs for probabilistic calculus, simulation and reporting.
At the end of the course, the student will be able to identify suitable models and methodologies in the context of interest; moreover he will learn to interpret and communicate the obtained results on simple reports.
- to know the basic concepts of elementary probability, probability distributions and limit theorems
- to know the main tools for calculus and graphical representation of one-dimensional and multivariate probability distributions
- to know and understand the practical importance of Monte Carlo simulation methods
2. Ability to apply knowledge and understanding:
- to use specific programs for working with probability distributions and for simulation
- to use appropriate formulas and terminology in all the processes of application and communication of the acquired knowledge
3. Ability to judge:
- to apply the acquired knowledge in a specific context, identifying the most appropriate probabilistic models and methods
4. Communication skills:
- to present in a clear and exhaustive way the results obtained from solving a probability problem, using rigorous formulas and appropriate terminology
5. Learning skills:
- to use and merge information from notes, books, slides and practical lab sessions
- to assess the achieved knowledge through quizzes, exercises and assignments during the course
The use of the software R (http://cran.r-project.org/ ) is part of the programme of the course and the main tool for solving the assignments and for the exam.
M. Boella (2011). Probabilità e statistica per ingegneria e scienze. Pearson Italia, Milano.
G. Espa, R. Micciolo (2014). Problemi ed esperimenti di statistica con R. Apogeo.
H. Hsu (2011). Probabilità, variabili casuali e processi stocastici. McGraw-Hill.
R.A. Johnson (2007). Probabilita' e statistica per ingegneria e scienze. Prentice Hall.
W. Navidi (2006). Probabilità e statistica per l'ingegneria e le scienze. McGraw-Hill.
S.M. Ross (2016). Calcolo delle probabilità. Terza edizione. Apogeo.
S.M. Ross (2015). Probabilità e statistica per l'ingegneria e le scienze. Terza edizione. Apogeo.
The use of the software R is part of the program of the course and the main tool for solving the assignments and for the exam. Examples of quizzes and exercises will be available in Moodle.
Activities and assignments consist on the solution of quizzes and exercises proposed in Moodle. The solution to some exercises is in the form of short reports.
The final exam takes place in the computer lab and is composed of quizzes and exercises to be solved with R. The exercises are similar to those assigned in Moodle during the course and are thought to assess the expected learning results.