- Assistant Professor (Tenure-Track Position), Department of Economics, University Ca’ Foscari of Venice
- Research Fellow at the Centre for Economic and International Studies, University of Rome Tor Vergata
Applied Microeconomics, Experimental Economics, Health Economics, Development Economics
03/2009-10/2009 Research Fellow, LUISS University, Department of Economics and Management.
01/2008-02/2009 Research Fellow, University College London, Centre for International Health and
09/2006-07/2007 Research Analyst in Acumen LLC, Burlingame (US).
07/2004-09/2004 Internship at The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), Amman (Jordan).
02/2004-06/2004 Tutor of the Master of Science in Development Economics and International Cooperation, University of Rome Tor Vergata.
2004 - 2008 PhD in Economic Theory and Institution, University of Rome Tor Vergata. Thesis
title: Essays on Health Economics. Supervisor: Vincenzo Atella.
2006 - 2007 Visiting, Center for Health Policy, Stanford University. Research Project: Externality
of the health insurance on body weight decisions. Supervisor: Jay Bhattacharya.
2003 - 2004 Master of Science in Development Economics and International Cooperation,
University of Rome Tor Vergata. Thesis title: "Small and Medium Enterprises in Developing
Countries". Grade Point Average 29/30, Final Mark 110/110.
1999 - 2003 BA (Laurea) in Economics, 110/110 cum laude, University of Rome Tor Vergata.
Thesis title: “Fertility and economic growth: theory and empirical analysis of causal links”.
2002 Erasmus Programme, John Moores University, Liverpool (UK).
Publications in refereed journals
- “One plus one can be greater than two: evaluating synergies of development programmes in Malawi” (with S. Daidone, B. Davis, R. Pickmans, S. Handa, M. Knowles), Journal of Development Studies, forthcoming (2017).
- “(Sub) Optimality and (Non) Optimal Satisficing in Risky Decision Experiments” (with D. Di Cagno, A. Galliera, W. Güth, F. Marzo), Theory and Decision, Vol. 83, pp. 195-243 (2017).
- “Experience and Gender Effects in Acquisition Experiment with Value Messages” (with D. Di Cagno, A. Galliera, W. Guth, N. Pace, L. Panaccione), Small Business Economics. Vol. 48, pp. 71-97 (2016).
- “Make-Up and Suspicion in bargaining with cheap talk. An experiment controlling for gender and gender constellation” (with D. Di Cagno, A. Galliera, W. Guth, L. Panaccione), Theory and Decision, Vol. 80 (3), pp. 463-471 (2016).
- “Extending health insurance in Ghana: effects of the National Health Insurance Scheme on maternity care” (with A. Brugiavini), Health Economics Review, Vol. 6, pp. 1-10 (2016).
- “The health care system reform in China: Effects on out-of-pocket expenses and saving” (with V. Atella and A. Brugiavini), China Economic Review, Vol. 34, pp 182-195 (2015).
- “The Explanatory and Predictive Power of Non Two-Stage-Probability Theories of Decision Making Under Ambiguity” (with J. Hey), Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Vol. 49(1), pp 1-29 (2014).
- “Changes in Individual and/or aggregate?” (with J. Hey), Applied Economics Letters, Vol. 22, pp 180-183 (2014).
- “Eliciting ambiguity aversion in unknown and in compound lotteries: a smooth ambiguity model experimental study” (with G. Attanasi, C. Gollier and A. Montesano), Theory and Decision, Vol. 77, pp. 485-530 (2014).
- “Health status and portfolio choice: is their relationship economically relevant?” (with S. Bressan and L. Pelizzon), International Review of Financial Analysis, Vol.32, pp. 109-122 (2014).
- “Human resource management and productivity in the Trust Game Corporation” (with L. Becchetti and G. Gianfreda), International Review of Economics, Vol. 59, pp. 3-20 (2012).
- “Health Status and Portfolio Choice: Does feeling better affect your attitude towards risk?” (with L. Pelizzon and S. Bressan), in Geneva Association Information Newsletter: Health and Ageing, Geneva, The Geneva Association , Vol. 26, pp. 9-13 (2012).
- “Maternal and Neonatal Health Expenditure in Mumbai Slums, India: A Cross Sectional Study” (with J. Skordis-Worrall, U. Bapat, S. Das, N. Shah More, W. Joshi, A. Pulkki-Brannstrom, D. Osrin), BMC Public Health, Vol. 11:150, pp. 1-12 (2011).
- “Food commodity derivatives: a new cause of malnutrition?” (with A. Seal and A. Costello), Lancet, Vol. 371, pp.1648-1650 (2008).
- “Futures and food prices -- Authors' reply” (with A. Seal and A. Costello), Lancet, Vol. 372, pp.628-629 (2008).
- “Are Employers discriminating with respect to weight? European Evidence using Quantile Regression” (with V. Atella and D. Vuri), Economics and Human Biology, Vol. 6, issue 3, pp.305-329 (2008).
- “Understanding how women's groups improve maternal and newborn health in Makwanpur, Nepal: a qualitative study” (with J. Morrison, R. Thapa, S. Hartley, D. Osrin, M. Manandhar, K. Tumbahangphe, R. Neupane, B. Budhathoki, A. Sen, D.S. Manandhar, A. Costello), International Health, Vol. 2, issue 1, pp.25-35 (2010).
Publications in refereed journals (in Italian)
-. “Le discriminazioni retributive: un approccio giuridico ed economico” (with S. Foffano), Lavoro e Diritto, vol. 4, pp. 663-688 (2012).
Articles published in books
- “Is there a European land of opportunity? Cross-country differences in intergenerational mobility in 14 European countries and Israel” (with L. Antonova, L. Aranda, E. Havari) in Ageing in Europe Supporting Policies for an Inclusive Society, De Gruyter, pp. 209-222.
“The Chinese health care system reforms and household saving patterns: some
stylized facts” (with V. Atella, A. Brugiavini, and H. Chen). In “The Globalisation of Chinese Business:
Implications for Multinational Investors”, Chandos Publishing,
- “Crisi economica e riduzione del reddito: effetti sullo stato di salute” (in Italian - with E. Croda). In Rizzi and Zantomio Analisi e strumenti di politica sociale, Edizione Ca’ Foscari Collana Politiche Sociali Studi e Ricerche (2013).
- “Riforme nel settore sanitario in Cina: rassegna degli effetti sulla domanda di cure sanitarie, spese out-of-pocket e risparmio familiare” (in Italian). In Rizzi and Zantomio Analisi e strumenti di politica sociale, Edizione Ca’ Foscari Collana Politiche Sociali Studi e Ricerche (2013).
- “Does Health Insurance Make you Fat?” (with J. Bhattacharya, K.
- “Corporate Trust Game in Modern Knowledge Economies” (with L.
Becchetti) in Corporate Social
Responsibility and Corporate Governance: the contribution of economic theory
and related disciplines (L. Sacconi, M. Blair, E.Freeman, A.
- “Istruzione, Tecnologie di Informazione e Sviluppo” (in Italian - with F. Ciuffi and A. De Socio) in Globalizzazione, istruzioni per l'uso: Comportamenti individuali, regole del gioco, istituzioni (L. Becchetti, L. Paganetto, C. Pietrobelli eds.), Meridiana Libri Saggi (2006).
- “Does “soft conditionality” increase the impact of cash transfers on desired outcomes? Evidence from a randomized control trial in Lesotho” (with S. Daidone, B. Davis, N. Pace, L. Pellerano). Working paper (2016). Revise and resubmit Journal of African Economies.
- “Family Networks and Health Seeking Behaviors: Evidence from Nepal”
(with J. Skordis, D. Osrin, M.V. Hernandez,
- “The Social Cash Transfer Programme and Farm Input Subsidy Programme in Malawi: complementary instruments for increasing consumption and productive activities” (with S. Daidone, B. Davis, S. Handa, M. Knowles, R. Pickmans). FAO Working paper.
- “Heterogeneity in Decision Making Within and Across Individuals: An Analysis of Experimental Choice Data” (with D. Di Cagno, A. Galliera, W. Güth), Working Paper (2016)
- “Disentangling risk aversion from ambiguity aversion in unknown and in compound lotteries: A KMM Experimental Approach” (with G. Attanasi, C. Gollier and A. Montesano), Working Papers Department of Economics, University Ca’ Foscari of Venice, vol. 23, pp 1-48.
- “Does Health Insurance Make you Fat?” (with J. Bhattacharya, K. Bundorf, and N. Sood), NBER Working Paper 15163 (2009).
- “Are employers discriminating with respect to weight? European Evidence using Quantile Regression” (with V. Atella and D. Vuri), CEIS Research Paper 123/2008, University of Rome Tor Vergata (2008).
- “Wages and weight in Europe: evidence using quantile regression model”, (with V. Atella and D. Vuri), ChilD Working Paper, No. 23/2007 (2007).
- “The valorization of human capital as a key element of competitiveness: the trust game corporation perspective”, (with L. Becchetti), Corporate Social Responsibility Paper 4/2006, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei (2006).
2016-2017 Instructor of Introduction to Economics (Undergraduate – U), University Ca’ Foscari of Venice.
2015-2016 Instructor of Microeconomics (Undergraduate – U), University Ca’ Foscari of Venice.
2015-2016 Instructor of Political Economy of Development (U), with F. Ferrante, LUISS University.
2015-2016 Instructor of Economics of Information (Graduate – G), with D. Di Cagno, LUISS University.
2014-2015 Instructor of Macroeconomics (Undergraduate – U), University Ca’ Foscari of Venice
2013-2014 Instructor of the course “The Gender Wage Gap and Job Discrimination” (U and G), Ca’ Foscari-Harvard Summer School.
2013-2014 Instructor of Microeconomics (U), University Ca’ Foscari of Venice.
2013-2014 Instructor of Economics of Information (Graduate – G), with P. Paiardini, LUISS University.
2012-2013 Instructor of Microeconomics (U), University Ca’ Foscari of Venice.
2012-2013 Instructor of Economics of Information (Graduate – G), with D. Di Cagno, LUISS University.
2011-2012 Instructor of Microeconomics (U), University Ca’ Foscari of Venice.
2010-2011 Instructor of Microeconomics (U), University Ca’ Foscari of Venice.
2009-2010 Instructor of Microeconomics (U), University Ca’ Foscari of Venice.
2009 Instructor of International Health Economics (G). University of Rome Tor Vergata.
- Investigation of non-standard theories of economic behavior under risk and ambiguity.
- Field Experiments in Developing Countries.
- Impact of social protection interventions on food security and nutrition in Developing Countries.
- Experimental analysis of gender differences in risk attitude, negotiation and bargaining.
- Investigation of risk and time preferences in health related choices.
2017 Annual World Bank Conference on Africa (ABCA 2017) – University of Berkeley, 1-2 June.
2017 UNU-WIDER Conference on Public Economics for Development 5-7 July.
2017 CSAE Conference on Development in Africa, Oxford University, 19-21 March.
2017 International Health Policy Conference, London School of Economics, 16-19 Feb.
2016 International Meeting on Experimental and Behavioral Economics and Social Sciences (IMEBESS), Rome.
2014 Conference on China After 35 Years of Economic Transition, London Metropolitan University, 8-9 May 2014.
2014 International Meeting on Experimental and Behavioral Social Sciences, University of Oxford, 10-12 April.
2014 5th Southern Europe Experimentalists Meeting, Sesimbra, Lisbon Region, 30 Jan.-1 Feb.
2014 XIX Convegno di Economia Sanitaria, 27-28 Oct, Venice.
2013 Alhambra Experimental Workshop, Rome, 3-4 Oct.
2013 International Meeting on Experimental and Behavioral Economics (IMEBE), Madrid.
2013 QED Jamboree, University of Vienna, Vienna 2-4 May.
2012 SHARE Users' Conference, Venice, 28-29 June
2012 QED Jamboree, University of Copenhagen, 4-5 May
2012 SHARE Wave 5 Meeting, Brixen, 22-23 March
2012 International Meeting on Experimental and Behavioral Economics (IMEBE), Castellòn, Spain
2012 NETSPAR Pension Workshop, Amsterdam
2011 ESA European Conference, Luxembourg, 14-17 September
2011 8th World Health Congress on Health Economics (iHEA), Transforming Health & Economics,
10-13 July, Toronto (Canada).
2011 International Economic Science Association (ESA) Conference, 7-10 July, Chicago (US).
2010 Foundation in Utility Theory (FUR) Conference, 15-18 June, Newcastle (UK).
2010 ERD Regional Conference on "Promoting Resilience through Social Protection in Sub-
Saharan Africa", 25-27 June, Dakar (Senegal).
2009 7th World Health Congress on Health Economics (iHEA), 12-15 July, Beijing (PRC)
2008 European Conference on Health Economics, 23-26 July, Rome (IT).
2008 Centre for International Health and Development, University College London, 12 November,
2007 Center for Health Policy, Stanford University, 17 July, Stanford (US).
2006 Marie Curie Conference CORE, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei, 22-23 June, Milan (IT).
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Economic Journal, World Development, Canadian Journal of Economics, Social Science and Medicine, Applied Economics, China Economic Review, Bulletin of Economic Research, Economics of Education, Health Economics, Labour, PlosOne, Research in Economics.
2008-2013 Stanford Health Policy Adjunct Associate, Centre for Health Policy and Centre for Primary Care and Outcomes Research (CHP/PCOR), Stanford University US.
2004-2007 Ph.D. scholarship for completion of the programme at University of Rome Tor Vergata in Economic Theory and Institutions.
2002 Socrates‐Erasmus Scholarship, John Moores University, Liverpool UK.