Since 2009, Ca’ Foscari University has joined the “M’illumino di meno” initiative, a yearly national campaign that promotes energy saving and efficiency, launched by radio program Caterpillar.
Each year, our University carries out numerous activities to raise awareness on topics like responsible use of resources and sustainable lifestyles, directly engaging students, professors and staff members in various activities and showing virtuous behavior that could help reduce our impact on the environment.
For the 2019 edition, the theme will be circular economy, i.e. reusing and recycling materials to reduce waste.
- As for past editions, the University will go into power saving mode for 90 minutes, turning off all the lights in its building from 6.00 p.m. to 7.30 p.m. on Friday March 1st.
- From February 25th to March 1st, professors will be invited to hold a 15-minute-long “energetic silence” during their classes, turning off all electronic devices and artificial light sources– a symbolic gesture that will hopefully engage the students in conversations on sustainability and energy consumption.
- From February 25th to March 9th, students, professors and staff will all have a chance to take part to the “Ri-mpiatta! Riempi il piatto, abbassa il tuo impatto” web contest (Fill up your plate, reduce your environmental impact). This photo contest asks you to plan out a meal following one or more of the themes suggested by Caterpillar (lights off, plastic free, empty your fridge, zero waste, bartering food). Applying is very easy: all you need to do is fill out this online form (by February 25th) and post a picture with the hashtag #rimpiatta. All the participants to the winning initiative will receive a handy lunchbox by Obag, sponsor of the contest. The organizer will win a backpack with solar powered powerbank.
- Friday March 1st, the ESU canteen at Rio Novo will arrange a candlelit dinner, in combination with its usual sustainable measures (beverage dispenser, reusable cutlery…).
- In the week from February 25th to March 1st, Sustainable Ca’ Foscari will release a social media campaign to promote environmentally conscious behavior (on Facebook and Twitter). Each day, they will post practical advice on how to become more eco-friendly with simple deeds that can contribute to safeguarding our planet and avoiding excessive waste.
More information on the Sustainable Ca’ Foscari program can be found on their page