Artic and Antarctica are remote areas, but they are crucial to life on earth. Studying and understanding them is important both for scientific and strategic reasons. To this regard, Ca’ Foscari University of Venice is launching a PhD program in Polar Sciences, in collaboration with the National Research Council, the National Program for Research in Antarctica, the University of Milano Bicocca and the University of Pisa
One of a kind in Italy and among few in the world, the program will train skilled scientists with the ability of understanding how climate change can impact polar areas, and how the latter react to these climate transformations.
“Polar regions and high altitude areas like the Tibetan plateau, the Himalaya, the Alps and the Andes represent the three poles that make up our planet’s cooling system and they are a priceless scientific observatory – explains Professor Carlo Barbante, one of the minds behind the new PhD program – Polar research is a unique opportunity for scientific cooperation at an international level. Its strategic role for our country is growing exponentially, and it allowed Italy to take part to the Antarctic Treaty and, more recently, to receive a seat as permanent observer in the Arctic council” “
Ca’ Foscari just opened the call for all prospective PhD students (here). Applications and selections for the 14 PhDs programs of the 35th cycle (2019/2020 academic year), will remain open until April 10th, 2019. 98 scholarships will be awarded thanks to funding from companies, research institutions and important European research projects. The call will award a total of 7.5 million euros, divided into 3- and 4-year scholarships.
7 PhDs will be held in English. 9 programs will have an international dimension, in partnership with other prestigious universities. 8 PhDs will consist of ‘industrial’ programs, granting access to employees from institutions and companies that want to invest in the education of their staff, like Cimolai S.p.A, Microtec, Fidia Farmaceutici, Explora, Certottica, Julia, Quantica, l’IRCCS San Camillo and H-FARM.
The call is open for prospective PhD students in:
- Law, Market and Person, in partnership with Astrakhan State University, Russian Federation (International PhD);
- Philosophy and Educational Sciences in partnership with Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, France (International PhD);
- Computer Science in partnership with Masarykova Univerzita, Czech Republic (International PhD) and with Cimolai S.p.A, Julia S.r.l. e Microtec S.r.l. (Industrial PhD);
- Italian Studies in partnership with Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt, Austria (International PhD);
- Modern Languages, Cultures and Societies and Linguistics in partnership with Sorbonne Université, France (International PhD), with l’Univerza na Primorskem, Slovenia (International PhD) and with the San Camillo Foundation and IRCCS (Industrial PhD);
- Management in partnership with H-FARM S.p.A. (Industrial PhD);
- Science and Management of Climate Change in partnership with the Euro-Mediterranean Center for Climate Change - CMCC and the National Institute of Oceanography and Applied Geophysics-OGS (PhD in partnership with research institutions);
- Science and Technology of Bio and Nanomaterials in partnership with the Centro di Riferimento Oncologico di Aviano – CRO (PhD in partnership with research institutions) and with Explora S.r.l. (Industrial PhD);
- Environmental sciences;
- Ancient Heritage Studies in partnership with the University of Trieste and the University of Udine (interuniversity PhD);
- Polar Sciences in partnership with the National Research Council (PhD in partnership with research institutions) and in partnership with the University of Milano Bicocca and the University of Pisa
- History of Arts in partnership with the State Institute for Art Studies of the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation (International PhD);
- Asian and African Studies in partnership with Universität Heidelberg, Germany (International PhD).
Moreover, Ca’ Foscari will take part to two other PhD programs, coordinated by different Universities.
- Chemistry, interuniversity PhD, coordinated by the University of Trieste
- Historical, Geographical and Anthropological Studies, interuniversity PhD in partnership with the University of Padua (coordinator) and the University of Verona
More information on the dedicated page