Final Exam and thesis evaluation
The PhD degree is obtained upon passing the final exam, consisting in the discussion of the doctoral thesis.
PhD students admitted to the final exam procedure must submit their thesis to the evaluation of two external reviewers identified by the Teaching Board of the PhD programme.
The evaluators express an analytical written judgment on the thesis and propose the admission to the discussion or not, for a period not exceeding 6 months if significant additions or corrections are necessary.
After this period, thesis will in any case admitted to discussion, accompanied by a new written opinion of such evaluators, written after the corrections or additions that may have occurred.
The Commission for final exam is composed of 3 members chosen from tenured professors and university researchers, of which at least one is external to Ca' Foscari University. The Commission can be supplemented by no more than two experts chosen from public and private research institutions and organizations. Supervisors can not be members of the Commission.
International cooperation agreements (e.g.: Joint Reasearch PhD Thesis (cotutela)) may provide for specific procedures for obtaining the title and for the composition of the Commission.
The date and place of the discussion are communicated to the PhD students with a minimum notice of 20 days.
At the end of the discussion, the thesis, with motivated written collegial judgment, is approved or rejected. The Commission, with unanimous vote, has the faculty to attribute the praise in the presence of results of particular scientific importance (starting from the 29th cycle).
- Submission of final exam request: from September 1 to 12, 2020
- Sending of an advanced draft of the final thesis (subject to the evaluators' judgment) to Department: from September 18 to October 1, 2020
- Sending of evaluators' judgment to PhD Coordinators: from October 3 to November 12, 2020
- Display evaluators' judgment: from November 19 to December 1, 2020
- Upload of final version of thesis for similarity check and registration of thesis: from December 2 to 9, 2020
- Result of thesis draft verification with Compilatio software: December 17, 2020
- Handing in of a paper copy of the thesis (to Department): before January 11, 2021
- Final exam session: from January 12 to March 12, 2021
33rd cycle with two months extension
- Submission of final exam request: from November 2 to 13, 2020
- Upload of an advanced draft of the final thesis (subject to the evaluators' judgment): from November 20 to December 2, 2020
- Upload evaluators' judgment: from December 4, 2020 to January 13, 2021
- Display evaluators' judgment: from January 21 to February 2, 2021
- Upload of final version of thesis for similarity check and registration of thesis: from February 3 to 10, 2021
- Result of thesis draft verification with Compilatio software: February 18, 2021
- Handing in of a paper copy of the thesis (to Department): before March 10, 2021
- Final exam session: from March 15 to May 15, 2021
33rd cycle students with six months extension
- Submission of final exam request: from February 13 to 25, 2021
- Upload of an advanced draft of the final thesis (subject to the evaluators' judgment): from March 1 to 20, 2021
- Upload evaluators' judgment: from March 25 to May 4, 2021
- Display evaluators' judgment: from May 12 to 21, 2021
- Upload of final version of thesis for similarity check and registration of thesis: from May 25 to June 3, 2021
- Result of thesis draft verification with Compilatio software: June 9, 2021
- Handing in of a paper copy of the thesis (to Department): before June 30, 2021
- Final exam session: from July 1 to September 10, 2021
Doctoral students must apply for their final thesis exam online within the deadlines indicated.
This is done by accessing your Reserved area on the University website and clicking on: Student Services - ESSE3 > Degree > Degree exam.
Before applying to your final thesis exam, you must:
- be up-to-date with your student fees;
- complete the Almalaurea questionnaire and attached the receipt.
Having completed the online procedure, students must pay € 16.00 stamp duty in the “Pagamenti” section ("Payment"), using a Visa or MasterCard prepaid or credit card.
The PhD student will receive an email automatically sent which will inform him whether or not he has admitted to the procedure of the thesis evaluation by the Teaching Board of the PhD course.
By the indicated deadline, the student will have to proceed with the upload of the thesis to the appropriate software by logging in with his credentials (registration number and password combination).
File of the thesis uploaded must be in PDF format and its size should not be larger than 10 MB, similar to the size required for the final thesis file, which must be submitted to the similarities verification software. Find helpful tips on how to create a PDF file and instructions to eventually compress it here.
ATTENTION: the title of the file of the thesis must not contain accents and/or apostrophes. Otherwise an error screen will appear informing you that the file has not been loaded into the application.
Together with the thesis, the PhD student will have to upload a report on activities of the PhD Programme and on publications, preferably prepared according to the downloadable format annexed to this web page.
By deadline, both files can be uploaded / modified.
It is also required to PhD student, at this stage, to upload his own publications in ARCA catalogue [ITA], following the warnings posted.
At the conclusion of the evaluation procedure, the student will receive an email automatically sent which will inform him if he is admitted or not the final discussion.
In case of admission, the student must proceed with the upload of the final thesis in the area reserved in expected ways.
Last update: 12/01/2021