Enrol, interruption, withdrawal, certificates

The doctoral student must undergo a verification of their research findings at least every semester.

Doctoral students will be admitted into the following year provided that the semester verification by the Teaching Board is positive.

When enrolling for the following year, doctoral students must pay the enrollment fees by the deadline even if the Teaching Board hasn't yet approved the admission.

In the case of non-admission to the following year, fees already paid will be reimbursed.

PhD students may request permission to interrupt their PhD studies for 1 to 2 semesters on a maximum of 2 occasions for the following reasons:

  1. maternity, paternity, adoption or fostering (the request may be submitted until the child's first birthday);
  2. serious illness (with medical documentation);
  3. attendance of pre-service teacher training course (TFA) and of the Percorsi Abilitanti Speciali (PAS);

Outside the period of interruption (for maternity leave), pregnant students may — on the recommendation of the Teaching Board — carry out alternative learning activities should ordinary learning activities involve risks for the health of the mother and of the unborn child.

During the period of interruption for reasons listed in a) and b), PhD students may, on request, continue to receive their scholarship, which will be disbursed for the maximum duration established by the Call for Applications.

With the exception of causes and situations due to force majeure, the interruption of studies request (with affixed tax stamp of EUR 16) must be submitted in person after booking an appointment [ITA], or sent by post to the Postgraduate Administration Unit  within the following deadlines:

  • if interruption is requested for the first semester (12/09/2016 - 12/03/2017) or from the first semester onwards: by September 30th, 2016;
  • if interruption is requested for the second semester (13/03/2017 - 11/09/2017) or from the second semester onwards: by March 31st, 2017.

Interruption cannot be requested retroactively.

During the period of interruption, students may not carry out any career activities (sitting exams, periods of research abroad, etc.).

In order to return to their studies after a period of interruption, PhD students must submit a request to the Postgraduate Administration Unit and pay all outstanding tuition and enrolment fees.

A withdrawal is the official statement of your intention to give up university studies.

The statement of withdrawal from studies is irrevocable and you can do it in any period of the year. This does not exclude the possibility of a new registration even on the same course, in case of winning a new call for applications.

The statement of withdrawal from the doctorate, to be prepared with a stamp of EUR 16, shall be submitted in person, by appointment [ITA], or sent by post to the Postgraduate Administration Unit.

The PhD student must have paid all fees due for the last academic year of enrolment. You do not have to pay the second installment if you present withdrawal by February 28th of the reference year. In particular:

  • the PhD student winner of a scholarship who withdraws from studies during the academic year will not be required to return the instalments of the scholarship already received, with the exception of those eventually received after the date of withdrawal;
  • if you are eligible or winner of a regional scholarship and you wish to withdraw from studies, you will no longer benefit from the advantages associated with it and you will be required to pay any outstanding fees. For this reason, you should contact the Financial Aid Office for calculating the fees payable and the refunding of sums paid for the regional scholarship (if won).

The certificates released by public administrations regarding status, personal qualities and facts are valid only in relations between private individuals; in relations with public authorities the certificates are replaced by affidavits (self-certification) made by the person (art . 15 Law 183 of 12/11/2011).

They may request:

  • certificates of registration;
  • certificates of achievement

These certificates can be obtained:

  • In person, by appointment [ITA] through the Postgraduate Administration Unit where there will be a stamp duty of EUR 16 per certificate requested;
  • by post, indicating in this case the type of certificate and the address of who to send the documents to. A copy of a valid document of identification must be attached to the request. There will be a stamp duty of EUR 16 EUR per certificate requested.
  • by email at  postlauream@unive.it, indicating, in this case, the type of certificate desired along with an email address to send the documents to. The request must be attached to a copy of a valid document of identification and proof of payment, to be made online. There will be a stamp duty of EUR 16 per certificate requested.

To get any kind of certificate you must be in good standing with the payment of taxes.

In the case of requests for a certificate of registration to the new academic year, you must have passed the examination of year transition.

It is possible to delegate the withdrawal of certificates through a third person, provided that you present written authorization and a photocopy of an identity document of the delegator.

The certificates may be issued in English on request.

Translation and legalisation

To get a certificate translated into any foreign language it is necessary to contact translators who are sworn by the court or diplomatic and consular representations of the country of destination.

For legalization please contact the Italian Prefecture [ITA].

Last update: 04/07/2023