How to apply
- Read carefully the Call for applications and the information about the PhD Programme for which you want to apply (Annex "A");
- Check the admission requirements (art. 3) listed in the Call and in Annex "A";
- If you have obtained a degree abroad, please refer to art. 4 of this Call or to the webpage concerning the admission requirements;
- Make sure that you have the documents to be submitted online in the allowed format (PDF).
The PhD Office has prepared a list of F.A.Q. to respond quickly to the frequent questions.
- Call 2019/20 and Annex A
Issued with Rector’s Decree No. 173 of February, 28th 20191.35 M
If you need further assistance, please write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or dial +39 041 234 7329 between 10 am and 12 pm (Italian Time) from Monday to Friday.
Deadline to apply
The application form must be completed exclusively online, before Wednesday, April 10th, 2019, no later than 1 PM (Italian time), under penalty of exclusion.
To be considered valid, all candidates must submit their applications using the online procedure as referred to in the above paragraph.
Do not wait until the due date to apply! If you find you're missing some documents and have problems with internet connection you might not succeed in applying just in time. Even if you have to hand over any printed material, please, do it before the deadline: you may find a queue.
Incomplete applications, applications lacking the obligatory academic qualifications shall not be considered valid.
How to apply online
The submission of the application is in two steps, both compulsory to the proper participation in this tender:
- Registration on the university website at the end of which a username and password will be assigned that you must use during enrolment procedure (this step is mandatory; if you do not, you risk not to be able to enroll if you will be a winner!). If you don't remeber your password, to recover it, follow this procedure https://apps.unive.it/newpass/. In case it does not fit in any of the indicated cases contact email@example.com or call +39 041 234 7575. WARNING: Only holding an unive email account does not mean you have applied; To apply read Second Step (below). If you already possess the credentials required to access the reserved area (for example as former students of the university), this stage is skipped.
- TAX CODE: tax code is an alphanumeric code that needs for italian fiscal purpose. It is not a problem if you have not an italian tax code: when you insert your personal data, the computer system will automatically calculate the tax code. Remind that code because you have to use the same on the second step of on line application.
- Access to the links for the PhD programme you want to partecipate.
If you need to apply for more PhDs, you need to do more separate applications accessing different links indicated in the notice and filling in all the fields whenever.
WARNING: Candidates who wish to apply for the PhDs programme divided into curriculum, may apply for only one curriculum in the PhD.
- Ancient Heritage Studies
- Asian and African Studies
- Computer Science
- Environmental Sciences
- History of Arts
- Italian Studies
- Law, Market and Person
- Modern Languages, Cultures and Societies and Linguistics
- Philosophy and Educational Sciences
- Polar Sciences
- Science and Management of Climate Change
- Science and Technology of Bio and Nanomaterials
Be sure to complete the online application: your application will be fulfilled after receive an email with a receipt with code candidate's application (if you do not receive the email, check your junk mail box / Spam, might be over there). Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
In the email is also shown the link from where you can access the application to consult / modify it using your tax code and the code assigned, always within the deadline stipulated by the call.
Compulsory qualifications to the application
The qualifications and publications required by the forms included with this call for applications (Annex "A") must be attached to the online application form in a PDF format and enclosed with files not larger than 10 MB, no later than Wednesday, April 10th, 2019 - at 1:00 pm.
You may also add, delete or modify the attached documents after completion of the online application, on condition that you do so by 1.00 pm on Wednesday, April 10th, 2019.
Other way attachments delivery will not be considered.
Pursuant to Presidential Decree (D.P.R.) no. 445 of 28 December 2000, as amended by article 15, paragraph 1, of Law no. 183 of 12th November 2011, Italian and European citizens are required to submit only a self-declaration with regard to the following personal statuses and details, as certified by Public Administrations, specified in this call for applications and the accompanying forms (Annex "A").
All documents for the previous clause 3 must be written in Italian or English, or translated into Italian or English with the exception of the documentation related to the degree that allows access to the PhD course, which must be accompanied by a translation in Italian or in English certified in conformity by the consular diplomatic official or by an official translator.
As provided for the art. 5 of the call for application, it is necessay to enclose the following documents to the application form in order to participate in the competition:
- curriculum vitae et studiorum (European format);
- PhD proposal research;
- abstract of the Master's degree thesis (10.000 characters including spaces);
- transcript certificate of the Master's degree awarded with the list of exams taken with grades;
It's also necessary to enclose:
- a valid copy of a non expired identity document
In the Annex "A" of the call, please see other mandatory and optional qualifications provided for each PhD programme.
- Self-certification of academic qualifications [IT]
Facsimile Format99 K
- European Curriculum Vitae174 K
- Self-certification of academic qualifications [IT]
Facsimile Format138 K
- Generic Self-certification [IT]
Facsimile Format56 K
Only for PhD Programmes in Modern Languages, Cultures and Societies and Linguistics, Ancient Heritage and Asian and African Studies
As foreseen in Annex A of the Call, the PhD programme above require candidates to declare their knowledge of one or more foreign languages, in addition to English.
In order to be able with this request, it is necessary to indicate these languages in the appropriate Languages field, which can be found in the online application or attach a special declaration among the optional documentation.
Next you find the format that can be used for this purpose.
Placed reserved to scholarship holders of foreign states
In the case of applicant with scholarship holders of foreign states, he/she must be in possession of the scholarship within 31st July 2019 and will must accompany the application with specific statement, as in the attached format, in the section Optional qualifications.
To enroll, winner will have to send within 31st July 2019 to PostLauream Office via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org a specific declaration by Scholarship's owner.
Collaborative PhD Programme
In the case of places reserved for employees of companies, the applicant must accompany the application with specific statement, as in the attached format, in the section Optional qualifications.
Ancient Heritage Studies
The reserch proposal (maximum 17,000 characters including spaces) must contain:
- name of the candidate, title of the project, state of the art and synthetic bibliography (maximum 5,000 characters including spaces);
- description of the reserach (maximum 12,000 characters including spaces) that must focus on a topic related to the "Research Topics" of the PhD Programme indicated in the appropriate section of the annex "A" of the call for application
Asian and African Studies
max. 2,000 words + bibliography, addressing
(1) topic and state-of-the-art,
(2) main research question,
(3) theoretical and methodological basis,
(4) planned work steps,
(5) expected results and relevance.
The proposal should be structured as follows: project title and name of applicant, abstract (max. 1000 characters), state of the art and references (max. 4000 characters), project description including goals and methodologies (max. 5000 characters).
Applicants are required to submit a research proposal, written in English (with a maximum of 10.000 characters, including spaces). The proposal must indicate the research question, the state of the art of relevant literature on the proposed topic and the main contribution of the project in theoretical and empirical terms.
It requires a well-argued and concise description of research proposal: max 10000 characters, including spaces, containing information on:
- scope and objectives of the research
- state of the art research
- survey methodologies proposed
- results expected
History of Arts
Research proposal, written in Italian or English or French or Spanish or German, with a maximum length of 7 folders max. 2000 characters including spaces each folder (excluding the bibliography).
The proposal must include:
- the title of the project;
- state of the art and literature summary (max. 5.000 characters including spaces);
- the project description, which must cover a topic related to the Research Topics indicated in the Annex "A" of the call for application or between the themes of topic-specific scholarship, with indication of the objectives and methodology of research (max. 10.000 characters including spaces);
- work plan for each of the three years of the PhD programme (max. 3000 characters).
Law, Market and Person
Applicants are required to present a short research proposal about the topic concerning the themes of the doctorate as indicated in the special sections of the Annex "A" of the call for application, including those referring to the scholarships financed by external institutions.
The proposal, with a maximum of 10,000 characters including spaces, must indicate the proposed theme which should focus on the European right; research aims and method, the state of art and the expected results, and a short bibliography.
Applicants are required to submit a short research proposal on a topic pertaining to the PhD themes indicated in the appropriate sections of Annex "A" of the call for application. In particular, the proposal, written in English (for a total of 10,000 characters maximum, including spaces), must indicate the subject, the state of the art research on the proposed topic, the objectives, the research methodology and the main contribution of the project in theoretical and empirical terms.
Modern Languages, Cultures and Societies and Linguistics
Modern Languages, Cultures and Societies Curriculum: Research proposal in Italian with bibliography raisonne. Maximum of 15.000 characters, including spaces and bibliography raisonne excluded. Foreign candidates can also use English as a vehicular language. In that case, the oral exam will assess the knowledge of the Italian language.
Linguistics Curriculum: Text, in Italian or English language, of about 2500 words in which the candidate clearly defines the scope of the research, the objectives and the methodology he/she intends to use. The text will be accompanied by appropriate bibliographic references
Philosophy and Educational Sciences
Philosophy Curriculum: Research proposal (of maximum 15.000 characters, including spaces, 1,5 spaced, language: Italian or English); A survey of the state of researches and a final bibliography is required (final bibliography is exclused from 15.000 characters).
Educational Sciences Curriculum: Research proposal (of maximum 25.000 characters, including spaces, 1.5 spaced, language: Italian or English; abstract and relevant and updated bibliography).
No particular indications at the moment.
Science and Management of Climate Change
Candidates must develop a research proposal (up to 10.000 characters, including spaces, in English), in the range of the themes listed in Annex A of the Call for Application through analytical, numerical, value judgment and planning approaches. Research methods and approaches can be inter-disciplinary. The proposal must refer to the research instruments to employ, for instance environmental data analysis methods, models for the numerical simulation of atmospheric and/or pelagic processes, techniques for the analysis of the model results, instruments for the comprehension and management of environmental impacts and for the analysis of climate control policy analysis. The presented project, necessary to the aims of the selection, might change during the graduate course.
Science and Technology of Bio and Nanomaterials
A brief and well-reasoned description of the research proposal (in Italian or in English) is required, concerning one of the themes in which the PhD programme is organized. The proposal must not exceed 10000 characters (spaces included) and must contain:
- Project title;
- research scope and objectives;
- state of the art of research,
- proposed survey methodologies,
- expected results;
- topic and state-of-the-art
- main research question
- theoretical and methodological basis
- planned work steps
- expected results and relevance
Letters can be uploaded in maximum number of two.
As far as reference letters are concerned, candidates must ask academics/scientists to submit the letters by means of an online procedure.
To enable this procedure, when compiling their application, candidates must enter the email addresses of the academics/scientists concerned who will receive an email with instructions explaining how to upload their letters. Candidates will receive an email informing them that the letter has been uploaded although these letters may only be viewed by the Administration of PhD Office and the Admissions Committee.
Academics, scientists must upload their letters before the application deadline (April, 10th 2019, 1 PM.).
Candidates must not upload reference letters, but they must only indicate the email tof the academis/other experts.
We will not allow other forms of sending letters.
Last update: 08/10/2019