Why Science and Technology of Bio and Nanomaterials?
The PhD programme in Science and Technology of Bio and Nanomaterials is a higher education initiative started from September 2018 in partnership with the Department of Molecular Science and Nanosystems (DSMN) and The National Cancer Institute (Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, CRO) in Aviano (PN) and KIT, Kyoto Institute of Technology, Japan.
The programme is taught entirely in English. Students need to have an English language proficiency of at least B2 level.
The Students will have the opportunity to develop their own research projects in the scientific structures of CRO, KIT and of DSMN.
Laboratories at DSMN
Laboratories at DSMN are provided with chemical hoods to conduct synthesis of organic and inorganic materials and modern analytical equipment. Departmental laboratories are also available for the use of advanced analytical instruments such as transmission and scanning electron microscopes (TEM and SEM), multinuclear NMR spectrometers, atomic force microscopes, electrochemical apparatuses (potentiostats, impedance analyser, scanning electrochemical microscope). New laboratories for molecular and cellular biology research include outstanding platforms for molecular and cellular biology studies such as: cell culture hoods, CO2 incubator, real-time PCR, Fluorescence Microscope, flow cytometry cell analyser, fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS) system, Gel Doc imaging instrument and documentation system, Digital Dispenser for multiple reactions, Plate reader for absorbance, fluorescence and luminescence.
The scientific area library (BAS) and Ca' Foscari Digital Library permit the access to the network of the most widely used databases and scientific journals.
Laboratories in CRO
Laboratories in CRO are equipped to train graduate students in advanced experimental studies in the various fields of chemistry, biology, and molecular and transversal medicine. Every single CRO laboratory is provided with basic and advanced equipment, organized in core facilities, such as the latest DNA sequencer, imaging and flow cytometry. The Scientific Library is specialized in oncology and related biomedical sciences.
Admission to Doctoral Programmes is gained through a highly selective application process, subject to international attention. The call for applications for academic year 2020/21 is now online. New deadline May, 27st 2020 1 P.M. (Italian Time).
International PhD Programme, in partnership with:
PhD programme in partnership with:
Collaborative PhD programme, in partnership with:
The aim of this PhD programme is to acquire an in-depth knowledge in these fields:
- to develop the ability to collaborate and compete with specialists coming from different disciplines.
- to use specialized literature and reviews characterized by a multidisciplinary content.
- to use specialized knowledge in an interdisciplinary context when this is characterized by a strong applicative value.
- to learn how to communicate the research results to different target audiences, to manage the intellectual property rights and to exploit their possible industrial development.
- to manage interdisciplinary projects, together with experts from various disciplines, with the aim to develop materials and techniques in the frame of chemico-physico-biological analyses useful for the development of bio-nanotechnologies applied to nano-medicine.
- Theranostics: synthesis of organic (polymeric and/or micelles) or inorganic (mesoporous) nanostructures for drug delivery and as contrast medium for optical and/or magnetic imaging; study of the interaction of these nanostructures with the biological environment and their efficacy for in vivo and in vitro targeting.
- Advanced ceramic materials for medical applications (prostheses or prosthesis coatings); study of their interaction with biological systems, of degradation processes and the formation of biofilms.
- Simulation and numerical design of nanostructures obtained via self-assembly of anisotropic objects, or via folding of DNA and proteins.
- Electrochemical biosensors for the determination of contaminating ions in water and in foods and / or small molecules (e.g. drugs) in plasma. Study of the interphases between inorganic, organic and biological systems using Scanning Electrochemical Microscopy (SECM) and AFM with high spatial resolution.
- Development, production and application of targeted therapies in human diseases.
- Development of innovative in vitro evaluation systems of the interaction among nanosystems, tissues and organs to limit the use of in vivo tests (Organoids).
- Evaluation of the impact produced by new technologies; management of technology transfer from laboratory to industry.
- Catalytic & photocatalytic organic & inorganic nanomaterials.
- Composite nanomaterials for energy and environmental applications.
- Nanomaterials for information technology.
- An agreement is running with Elettra Sincrotrone Trieste for materials characterization through x-ray techniques.
The spectrum of employment opportunities for a PhD graduate in Science and Technology of Bio-NanoMaterials is wide.
Firstly, the PhD graduate can work as a researcher in public and private structures where there are required figures able to independently manage research projects that involve the interaction of specialists from various disciplines. The typical structures in which the PhD graduates can be employed will be universities, hospitals, research centers, chemical and pharmaceutical industries in which they will work as researcher, research and development manager, quality control in charge of project or laboratory.
The PhD graduate will also be able to hold positions of scientific and managerial responsibility in other services and industrial sectors of advanced technology both in nanotechnology and biotechnology, such as the biomedical, sensorial, pharmaceutical and bio-technology sectors.
Secretariat of PhD Programmes DSMN
Tel: 041 234 8933
Fax: 041 524 8517
Scientific Campus, via Torino - Mestre
Alfa building, 4th floor, room n. 3-8 [map]
The National Cancer Institute (Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, CRO)
Via Franco Gallini, 2 - 33081 Aviano (PN)
Tel. +39 0434 659 111
Fax +39 0434 652 182
Last update: 18/09/2020