The internship is a period of on-the-job training offered to students and recent graduates to acquire knowledge and professional skills that can be put into practise in the world of work, experiencing the life of a company.
It is a compulsory part of the all Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes. The internship can be linked to the final exam and it is recommended that you do it during the final year of the programme.
To calculate the required duration of the internship, multiply the number of credits provided by your study plan by 25 hours: for example 6 ECTS = 150 hours, 9 ECTS = 225 hours, 12 ECTS = 300 hours.
Internships in Italy
Students interested in finding an internship in Italy can consult the possibilities and apply by following the instructions in the appropriate section.
Internship Regulation for the Bachelor's Degree
1. Introduction and objectives
The BA Degree in Digital Management integrates academic lessons with experiential learning and project-based learning. The Internship Project is key in the programme: by taking part in internships and collaborating with entrepreneurs and managers in real-life contexts, students will learn through practice and will have the chance to reflect on the applications of the concepts they have learnt in class. This experience contributes to students’ employability by favoring the further development of soft and transversal skills.
The Internship Project for the BA degree in Digital Management aims at:
- allowing students to become familiar with the dynamics of the work environment and to develop and master managerial skills.
- providing students the opportunity to grow professionally and to increase their soft skills like empathy, communication, resilience, self-control, goal orientation and teamwork.
- exploring the opportunities that the digital revolution has brought into almost all business sectors and understanding how companies might be helped and supported in this change.
- improving students’ in-depth understanding of some specific processes and digital solutions in areas like Marketing, Human Resources Management, Law, Accounting, Sales, Data Analysis etc.
2. The project
The Internship Project can take place within startups, incubators, organizations or companies of all sizes, in the private or public sector, both in Italy or abroad. Internship projects cannot take place in businesses owned by the students’ family neither in companies where the tutor supervising the project is a relative, since the value of the experience would be largely reduced.
Internships will be finalized to develop a specific project based on the organization’s needs and will be about innovation and digital transformation processes, procedures or work methods. The project must be consistent with the curriculum of the BA in Digital Management. The internship project will be the core of the student’s final thesis.
3. Timeline, requirements and ECTS
The internship project can take place in three different ways:
- Internships in Italy and abroad: entirely developed in one company or organization for a continuous timeframe (30CFU = 750 hours). In this case, the internship will take place in the second semester of the 3rd year and it can start from January on. The student must have earned at least 114 credits before starting the internship. The internship will have a minimum length of 5 months and a maximum of 6 months, with a minimum amount of 750 working hours. For these internships a bonus of 2 credits will be awarded in case of internship fully taken abroad - https://www.unive.it/pag/8750/
- Internships abroad: entirely developed in one company or organization in two different periods (10CFU=250hours + 20CFU=500 hours).
In this case, the first part of the internship will be in the summer of the second year; it will have a minimum length of 2 months and a maximum length of 3 months for a minimum of 250 working hours. The student must have earned at least 90 credits before starting the first part of the internship.
The second part of the internship will take place in the second semester of the third year, and it can start from January. it will have a minimum length of 3 months and a maximum length of 6 months for a minimum of 500 working hours. The student must have earned at least 114 credits before starting the second part of the internship.
- Internships abroad: Developed in two companies or organizations in two different periods.
In this case, the first part of the internship will be with the first company in the summer of the second year; it will have a minimum length of 2 months and a maximum length of 3 months for a minimum of 125 working hours. The student must have earned at least 90 credits before starting the first part of the internship. With this option, the first internship will be granted up to 5 CFU.
The second part of the internship will take place in the second company, in the second semester of the third year, starting from January on. It will have a minimum length of 5 months and a maximum length of 6 months for a minimum of 625 working hours. The student must have earned at least 114 credits before starting the second part of the internship.
Students must be aware that internships through Ca’ Foscari University cannot have a duration exceeding the maximum cumulative length of 12 months over the entire degree program (three years).
According to the internship project objectives and content, more than one person can be hosted in the same company on a joint or a different project. In any case, each student involved will be responsible for his/her own final thesis.
4. Roles and responsibilities
The Internship Project will be used as the main subject of the final thesis. For this reason, three parties will be involved: the student, the thesis supervisor and the company tutor, with Ca’ Foscari University and H-FARM Education participating as facilitator in this process.
Ca’ Foscari University and H-FARM Education will provide the students with a wide network of companies and a series of different opportunities and project ideas, with the possibility for the students to get involved into an ecosystem of startups and acceleration programs. Ca’ Foscari University will provide the beneficiaries and the host organizations with adequate administrative support to set up and implement the internship.
It will also guarantee insurance coverage against accidents at work and third-party liability.
Each student will be able to choose the topic of the Internship Project, the organization and the specific business area depending on his/her attitudes and interests (internship projects can be for example about technological innovation, digital transformation, digital law, strategy, marketing, communication, organization, data management etc.). Students can also select a company and a project by themselves, but the Teaching Board of the BA Program must approve the proposed company/project before the Internship Project can be developed by the student.
Students with a startup idea can apply for an internship in H-FARM. Their startup idea will be evaluated by an H-FARM committee and the best ideas will be awarded an internship (including the dissertation) in the accelerator program.
The thesis supervisor must be involved in the Project selection. He/she will be able to provide suggestions about topics, projects and organizations and will be available to support the students during the internship and in developing his/her project/thesis and monitor the results.
The thesis supervisor can be chosen among Digital Management professors teaching academic courses. Students can also be supervised by a co-tutor selected among instructors of the Curriculum Enhancing courses of the BA Degree in Digital Management.
The Company Tutor, identified at the beginning of the Internship Project, will be the student’s point of reference within the company. He/she will play a fundamental role to support and assist the student in the company, monitoring that the Internship Project is developing correctly.
5. Step-by-step procedures: how to set up, develop and finisch the internship project
Step 1: plan
Starting from the beginning of the second year, and supported by the H-FARM tutors, the students will need to define:
- a project.
- a company or organization.
- a thesis supervisor and eventually a co-tutor among the instructors of the curriculum enhancing courses
In order to do that, students will have a series of resources available and a specific tutor at H-FARM to assist them. The students will be able to:
- take advantage of the projects and/or companies suggested by H-FARM;
- check the internship offers available with Ca’ Foscari 
- propose a project with a specific company on their own
The internships can be held in Italy or abroad. The internships are usually unpaid, but even in case of paid traineeships, the students must take into consideration that depending on the place of the internships there will be some extra costs for housing, commuting and other living expenses.
Please notice that for international internships there are some funds available. To take advantage of this opportunity, students must plan their project plenty in advance and carefully read the instructions and the deadlines as described in the proper webpage. Generally, applications for funds are opened in February/March for internships taking place in the summer; in September/October for internships taking place in the winter. For further details, please visit: https://www.unive.it/pag/17148/
Step 2: apply
Once the Internship Project is defined and approved by the thesis supervisor and the company, the students will need to carefully follow the instructions to correctly activate the internships, providing the proper documents as explained in these links:
- For Internships in Italy: https://www.unive.it/pag/10356/ (come attivare uno stage) - https://www.unive.it/pag/17134/ (how to set up an internship)
- For Internships abroad: https://www.unive.it/pag/7198/ (prima dello stage) - https://www.unive.it/pag/17181/ > Before
Students must buy a private health insurance for internships and transfers outside the European Union
Step 3: develop
The first day of the internship, the students will need to provide the proper documents to the company and to the University, as explained in the links below:
- For Internships in Italy: https://www.unive.it/pag/10356/ (avvio dello stage) - https://www.unive.it/pag/17134/
- For Internships abroad: https://www.unive.it/pag/7198/ (durante lo stage) - https://www.unive.it/pag/17181/ > During
While the students are taking the internship, they will also need to develop and write the thesis. The students will need to stay in touch with the thesis supervisor and the University tutor and update them about the experience and the thesis status at least on a monthly basis.
Step 4: end of the project
At the end of the Internship the students will have to deliver the official documents properly completed and signed, as explained in these links:
- For Internships in Italy: https://www.unive.it/pag/10356/ (chiusura dello stage) - www.unive.it/pag/17134/
- For Internships abroad: https://www.unive.it/pag/7198/ (chiusura dello stage) - https://www.unive.it/pag/17181/ > End
The students will need to deliver the final thesis according to the scheduled deadlines for the final degree exam.
6. Internship representatives and contacts
H-FARM Digital Management Office
Internship Projects Coordinator
H-Farm, via Sile 41, 31056 Roncade (TV)
Tel. +39 0422 789611
Fax. +39 0422 789666
Ca’ Foscari Career Service - Internship in Italy Unit
(Ufficio Career Service - Settore Tirocini Italia)
For issues related to the drawing up of company agreements in Italy
Ca' Foscari, Dorsoduro 3246, 30123 Venezia
Tel. +39 041 234 7951-7509
Campus of Economics and Management – S. Giobbe
For issues related to the setting up and implementation of internships in Italy
San Giobbe, Cannaregio 873, 30121 Venezia
Tel. +39 041 234 9227
Ca’ Foscari Career Service - Internship abroad Unit
(Ufficio Career Service - Settore Tirocini Estero)
For issues related to company agreements and internships abroad
Ca' Foscari, Dorsoduro 3246, 30123 Venezia
tel. +39 041 234 7949
 Internship offers in Italy:
Internship offers abroad:
Last update: 15/09/2020