PhD in Science and management of climate change
In this webpage you can find the main research topics developed by the PhD in Science and Management in Climate Change and useful information for the PhD students.
For a complete list of the doctoral thesis, please see the catalogue.
The PhD programme in Science and Management of Climate Change is part of the research training activities proposed by VICCS - Venice Centre for Climate Studies, an inter-disciplinary research centre based at the Ca’ Foscari University, focusing on the assessment, detection, quantification, communication and facilitation of sustainable solutions to global change problems.
Most of the projects developed during the PhD are included in the research activities of three main bodies, Università Ca' Foscari, CMCC and OGS:
- At the Department of Economics, the main study and research sectors include not only economics and finance, but also legal and social issues, as well as quantitative analysis and development of decision making tools. Research carried out here addresses the present complex global economic environment.
At the Department of Environmental Sciences, Informatics and Statistic, the research is oriented on the most challenging global issues (environment, ecology, sustainability, social development) with the aim of promoting an interdisciplinary approach. Main issues include on one side Climate Sciences, Paleoclimate, Biology, Renewable Energy Sources, Ecology, Environmental Processes, Earth Science, Maritime Studies, on the other side Information and Communication Technology (ICT), Digital Humanities, Data Management, Artificial Intelligence, Bioinformatics.
- At the Euro-Mediterranean Centre on Climate Change, permanent researchers work on a wide spectrum of multidisciplinary topics related to climate science research. CMCC collaborates with experienced scientists, economists, and technicians, which work together in order to provide full analyses of climate impacts on various systems such as agriculture, ecosystems, coasts, water resources, health, and economics. CMCC also supports policymakers in setting and assessing costs, mitigation, and adaptation policies.
- At the National Institute of Oceanography and Applied Geophysics, researchers operate in the field of climate and environmental research, with operational skills, technology development, monitoring management, numerical modelling and data interpretation on regional and global scales, with focus on the Mediterranean Sea and the Polar areas. OGS activities contribute to researches on global changes related themes by promoting an interdisciplinary approach to the assessment of the current state of the environment, of the changes occurred in the past, and the identification of possible future scenarios, also considering the multifaceted impacts due to anthropogenic activities and natural forcing.
Other institutions, laboratories and research centers offer several research opportunities on a wide collection of topics, including internship opportunities required to obtain the MPhil title:
PhD Students are involved in several research groups, among which:
- Ice memory Project
- Early Human Impact
- ERA-CLIM2 – European Reanalysis of Global Climate Observations 2
- MYOCEAN2 - Prototype Operational Continuity for the GMES Ocean Monitoring and Forecasting Service
- European Institute on Economics and the Environment
- Ca’ Foscari, Department of Economics, ERC Starting Grant Project ENERGYA
The period abroad is an important moment for the PhD student. It contributes to the knowledge and experience of the student, helping him/her to work closely with other research groups and people. It is fundamental to build up the professional network of the future researcher.
The second and the third years of the course are mainly devoted to a period of research and study in a foreign institution. This period lasts from minimum 6 up to 18 months and an increasing of 50% of the scholarship is granted for the entire period abroad. Destinations and reference researchers are planned in accordance with the PhD tutors, and prior to departure students must obtain the approval from the PhD Board.
Once abroad, PhD students are expected to attend advanced classes, seminars and carry out useful research. A detailed written report on these activities must be submitted at the end of the research period and it will be part of the evidence on which admission to the third year is granted.
Main foreign research period destinations:
- Byrd polar research Center, Ohio State University, USA
- Centre for Development Research (ZEF), University of Bonn, Germany
- Dept. of Physical Geography and Quaternary Geology, Stockholm University, Sweden
- Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, USA
- Institute for Environment and Human Security UNU – Bonn, Germany
- Institute for Environmental Studies,VU University Amsterdam, Nederland
- International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, Laxenburg, Austria
- International Research Institute for Climate and Society, Columbia University NYC, USA
- Laboratoire de Glaciologie et Géophysique de l’Environnement, Université Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France
- Max Planck Institute for Meteorology, Hamburg, Germany
- NCAR National Centre for Atmospheric Research, University of Colorado, USA
- NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory, University of Colorado, USA
- The World Bank – Washington, USA
- Boston University, Boston USA
- Harvard Kennedy School, Cambridge USA
- Princeton University
- Stanford University
PhD students undertaking considerable research periods abroad may be awarded a Joint Research PhD
The assessment of PhD students' progress in research will take place twice a year, mainly through papers submissions and public presentations.
Second and third year PhD students present their research work during a summer PhD Research Day
Fourth year PhD students are required to:
give a preliminary presentations of their thesis in the first semester
discuss a thesis pre-defence at the end of the second semester
All PhD thesis will be externally reviewed by international referees prior to final sumbission.
Last update: 03/08/2021