Admission to Doctoral Programmes is gained through a highly selective application process, subject to international attention. The call for applications for academic year 2019/20 is now online. Deadline April, 10th 2019 1 P.M. (Italian Time)
Next call alert
Would you like to be advised when the next call for application will be published?
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: subscribe email@example.com
To unsubscribe please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: unsubscribe email@example.com
Partnership for knowledge - PhD fellowships
Partnership for Knowledge - PfK - is a higher education initiative of the Italian Cooperation aimed at providing life-changing opportunities to researchers, public administration officers, social entrepreneurs and young leaders who are committed to develop their professional and academic skills, strengthen their capacities, widen their networks, make a difference in their home contexts and, last but not least, experience the Italian culture.
The programme, funded in years 2019-2022 by the Italian Agency for Development Cooperation in partnership with several Italian universities, offers a number of PhD fellowships in the following thematic domains, grouped in four academic platforms:
• Rural development and Spatial management
• Health, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene - W.A.S.H.
• Sustainable energy, Environment and Industrial innovation
• Cultural heritage and Sustainable tourism
The call for PfK PhD fellowship program is expected to open in the next months
In partnership with:
prof. Enrica De Cian, Ca' Foscari University
The PhD programme in Science and Management of Climate Change is a joint initiative between Ca’ Foscari University of Venice, the Euro-Mediterranean Center on Climate Change (CMCC) and Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e Geofisica Sperimentale (OGS).
The PhD programme offers a 4-year fully funded scholarship, including one year of full-time coursework, with worldwide research opportunities and connections to a broad international network of top-level universities and research centers in the field, as well as placement in highly renowned institutions afterwards. The programme is conducted entirely in English.
Students come from very diverse backgrounds, ranging from engineering science, to social science, political science, natural science, and environmental science.
The main objective of the programme is to create scholars who can navigate the complex and multi-faceted dimensions of the grand challenges posed by climate change. It prepares experts with a broad and thorough scientific background in economics, climate science, valuation techniques and with specific modelling skills who can:
- Understand and explain the physical and economic nature of climate change
- Assess the impacts, socio-economic effects, and uncertainties related to climate change
- Evaluates the socio-economic implications of mitigation and adaptation policies
- Apply interdisciplinary concepts, methods, and tools to analyze and design innovative climate policy solutions
- Apply interdisciplinary concepts, methods, and tools to conceive transformational pathways in the context of sustainable development
- Synthesize and communicate the different dimensions of climate change and their uncertainties to different users – from the general public to policy makers and the scientific community
The PhD in Science and Management of Climate Change brings together the science and the economics of climate change.
Key research themes of the PhD programme include:
- Dynamics of climate variations and change
- Ocean Dynamics
- Polar Climate and Sea Ice
- Assessment of biophysical and socio-economic impacts of climate change and adaptation strategies
- Analysis of national and international mitigation and adaptation policies in the context of sustainable development
- Risk assessment and decision support systems (DSS) for environmental impacts of climate
The programme offers a mix of practical and theoretical learning with a strong focus on the interaction between students and teaching staff. Experts from national and international organizations and research centers participate in some courses. The programme has connections with an extensive network of top universities (e.g. MIT, Harvard University, Columbia University, and Imperial College of London), national and international research institutes (e.g. CNR, CMCC, OGS, and PIK), as well as consultancy agencies (e.g. Climate Policy Initiative) where students can conduct research for their PhD theses.
By acquiring a sound scientific understanding of how to approach climate change at the global level, PhD graduates will be able to assume leadership roles in the academic world (e.g. Georgia Institute of Technology, Ca’ Foscari University of Venice, CMCC, CNR, and OGS), in consultancy, as well as in the energy and insurance sectors, both private (e.g. Climate Policy Initiative and Acclimatise) and public (e.g. World Bank, European Commission, and World Resources Institute).
Alice Dei Rossi
Tel: +39 041 234 7743
Department of Environmental Sciences, Informatics and Statistics,
Via Torino 155
30172 Venezia Mestre
Last update: 04/12/2019