Recognition of qualifications, equivalence of degrees taken under the old university systems
Concept of recognition according to the purpose
It is therefore fundamental to know the purpose and the objective for which a recognition is requested by our system before beginning any evaluation procedure, taking into account the different existing procedures in our legislation and the different bodies responsible for such implementations.
For what purpose is the recognition of foreign qualification requested in Italy?
The answer to this question will immediately indicate the most adequate procedure and the authority responsible for its performance: without this preliminary indication, both the authority and the holder of the foreign qualification risk not gaining any useful result for their aims, as well as wasting time in longer and more complicated procedures that could nullify the recognition request.
Procedure of recognition according to the purpose
|Category||Purpose of recognition||Responsible body||Legislative reference|
|Academic recognition||Admission to a course/Furthering of study
Shortening of course/Recognition of period of study/Recognition of credits
Nostrification procedure (equipollenza)
|Universities and AFAM institutions||Art. 2, Law 148/2002|
We would like to remind applicants that universities are not in charge for the recognition of foreign qualifications for accessing public calls (i.e. “Accesso all’insegnamento”).
In case the purpose for the recognition is not an academic one, on the following link you can find more information on regards of all the kind of procedures for the recognition of an international qualification.
Obtain the corrisponding Italian qualification
Period for submission of request
All year. In the event that you wish to obtain recognition of your qualifications for the purpose of enrolment, all the relevant information regarding the are available on the specific pages dedicated to specific degree programmes using the menu Enrol>Admission.
To request recognition of an international academic qualification in order to obtain the corresponding Italian qualification you need to submit your request with a revenue stamp to the Welcome Unit.
The following documents must be attached to your request:
- valid ID (for EU and Italian applicants only) or passport;
- (if obtained abroad) original high school diploma or authenticated copy, translated, legalised and accompanied by a Declaration of Value (or Statement of Validity) or the CIMEA Statement of comparability;
- original academic qualification, translated into Italian or English language, legalised and accompanied by a Diploma Supplement; or Declaration of Value (or Statement of Validity); or the CIMEA Statement of comparability (for applicants that gained their academic degree in a NON-EU country only);
- list of exams taken, translated into Italian or English language and legalised (including hours spent carrying out eventual theoretical-practical activities);
- list of exams taken at foreign university, translated into Italian or English language (except from cases listed below);
- any other qualifications attained after your degree, legalised and accompanied by Diploma Supplement; or Declaration of Value (or Statement of Validity); or the CIMEA Statement of comparability;
- a receipt for the payment of 300.00 euros, made by bank transfer. Once the recognition procedure has been commenced, you will no longer be able to obtain the reimbursement of the fee paid.
Study programmes can be submitted in the original language if equivalence is being requested for a language degree programme; in French, English, Spanish and German if the desired study programme is in the humanist area; in English if the desired study programme belongs to the economic or scientific sectors.
The procedure can be carried out:
- by post: copy of the above-mentioned documentation can be sent by registered mail with return receipt to the following address: Università Ca' Foscari Venezia – International Office – Counseling and Welcome Unit, Ca' Foscari, Dorsoduro 3246 - 30123 Venice.
- by certified email: copy of the above-mentioned documentation can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Translation of documents necessary for the request of recognition of an international academic qualification will be carried out at the student’s expense.
The teaching body responsible will usually confirm total or partial recognition of the international academic qualification submitted within 90 days of receiving your request:
- in the case of partial recognition, it will indicate the year of enrolment and number of credits recognised as well as the number of credits that must be acquired to obtain the corresponding Italian academic qualification;
- in the case of total recognition, you will be awarded only the relative Italian academic qualification bearing both the name of the international qualification and the name given to the equivalent Ca’ Foscari qualification.
Admission to degree programmes
If you are an EU or non-EU student with an international qualification and you wish to enrol in a Bachelor's or Master's degree programme at Ca' Foscari, you must previously request a preliminary online evaluation of your qualifications through a specif procedure. This latter will require you to upload the necessay documentation on a specific online portal, through which you will be informed of the process outcome.
More information on regards of the preliminary online evaluation are available on this link.
The relevant legislation
Under the Agreement between the Italian Republic and the Republic of Austria, the so-called 'Scambio di Note’ of 16 and 17 February 2003, in force from 1.04.2003, which completes and updates the list of corresponding academic qualifications attached to the ‘Scambio di Note’ of 28 January 1999, and which introduces a table of corresponding grades in application of the decisions made by a 16th Joint Committee of experts, there is full equivalence between the academic qualifications and grades issued by Italian and Austrian universities and contained in the attached list.
Under the aforementioned ‘Scambio di Note’ the recognition of an academic qualification in Italy is considered to confer equivalence. The recognition of an academic qualification allows the individual concerned to acquire all rights connected to possession of the corresponding degree obtained at an Italian university after completing the foreseen study programme.
Which qualifications can be recognised?
Only Austrian academic qualifications contained in the list attached to the ‘Scambio di Note’ will be recognised. Moreover, Università Ca' Foscari will only issue equivalence for academic qualifications included in its own programme and in the list attached to the ‘Scambio di Note’.
Period for submission of request
All year long. In the event that you wish to obtain recognition of your qualifications for the purpose of enrolment, the deadline will be 31 May of the previous academic year. For example: if you wish to enrol in September 2015 (AY 2015/16) you will need to obtain recognition of your international qualification by 31 May 2015.
- Fully compiled and signed request to be submitted to the Welcome Unit, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia, Dorsoduro 3246 - 30123 Venice (also by registered mail with return receipt) together with a 16-euro revenue stamp;
- both the original and a photocopy of the document awarding the academic grade ("Bescheid");
- both the original and a photocopy of your high school diploma;
- two photocopies of your current ID/passport;
- both the original and a photocopy of all certificates of additional exams if necessary for recognition of your qualification;
- certificate (both original and copy) issued by the Austrian university concerned showing final grade ("Gesamtnote");
- receipt for payment of 300.00 euros by bank transfer, giving “Riconoscimento titoli austriaci” (recognition of Austrian qualifications) as reason for payment.
You must submit your request along with all the necessary documentation to the Welcome Unit.
The procedure usually takes 90 days. Once the recognition procedure has been commenced, you will no longer be able to obtain the reimbursement of the fee paid.
Once the procedure has been completed, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia will ask you to come in person to collect your certificate of recognition, equivalence diploma and original documentation.
You may also authorise someone to collect your documentation on your behalf. In this case they must bring with them a letter of authorisation signed by you, a photocopy of your ID and a photocopy of their own ID.
Once the certificate of recognition has been issued, the procedure is considered to have been completed.
The certificate of recognition has legal value while the diploma is intended for personal use.
What is an equivalence?
If you participate in a competition for access to public employment and you are required to hold a degree in a given class, pursuant to the D.M. July 9, 2009 Ca’ Foscari has prepared a procedure to define the equivalence of their degrees before D.M. 509/1999 (degrees of the old system) to the corresponding degree/specialization degree classes and specialized degrees D.M. 509/1999 to the corresponding master degree classes D.M 270/2004
To obtain an equivalence, you have to fill out the equivalence request form and submit it:
- in persona to the L and LM Student Careers Sector;
- via email, duly signed, attaching a copy of a valid ID, to the address: email@example.com.
The application will be evaluated by the competent educational bodies. In the event of a favorable opinion, a certification certifying the correspondence to a single specialist /magisterial degree among those provided and offered by the University will be issued.
Attention: to submit an application it is absolutely necessary to indicate the public competition for which the equivalence is necessary.
The graduate will be notified via an email of the obtained equivalence and can verify it by downloading a degree certificate autonomously from the reserved area.
Last update: 21/10/2020