VEiL Public Archaeology Initiative
V_PAI (VEiL Project Public Archaeology Initiative) is a Public Archaeology Initiative stemming from the VEiL Project. V_PAI aims to test the use of different communication channels for public engagement in landscape archeology, addressing different virtual communities through customised contents. V_PAI represents a unique case of public archaeology initiative in Italy applied to a fieldwalking survey project, encompassing a structured Social Media strategy (based on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts) and the production of short videos, intended for different recipients: the goal is sharing a variety of topics related to cultural landscapes and archaeological research to a broad and heterogeneous audience.
V_PAI is carried on by VEiL Team members:
- Carla Ardis: Social Media Strategist, responsible for the Social Media editorial plan and selection of initiatives and public events to join in via VEiL social media. Social Media Manager of VEiL Twitter and Facebook account.
- Riccardo Giovanelli: manager of the Instagram platform and responsible for the study of analytical results from all the social media of the project. Producer and editor of the docu-movies of the VeIL project.
- Anna Bernardoni: in charge of defining and shaping the theoretical framework of the project. Manager of Instagram account during fieldwork campaigns and photographer.
Dissemination and communication
- Ardis C., Giovanelli R., Traviglia A., From the fields to the web: a view on public archaeology and social media from an Italian perspective, Youth in Conservation of Cultural Heritage (YOCOCU) Conference, 23-25 May 2018, Matera (Italy).
Ardis C., Giovanelli R., Bernardoni A., Traviglia A., Un-#VEiLing the potential of Social Media: Open Archaeology for Public Engagement, Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology (CAA) Conference, 19-23 march 2018, Tubingen.
Ardis C., Giovanelli R., Traviglia A., in press. From the fields to the web: a view on public archaeology and social media from an Italian perspective, in La Russa M., Macchia A., Masini N., Prestileo F. (eds), Dialogues in Cultural Heritage. Proceedings of VI International Yococu Conference, Matersa, May 23-25, 2018,Matera:CNR-IBAM.
- From the fields to the Web. VEiLProject, video abstract for Youth in Conservation of Cultural Heritage (YOCOCU) Conference, 23-25 May Matera (Italy) 2018: https://youtu.be/_fBgHC4vDMk.
- Structured light scanning of a Roman sundial. Scanning Past Time,video abstract for Youth in Conservation of Cultural Heritage (YOCOCU) Conference, 23-25 May 2018, Matera (Italy) 2018: https://youtu.be/td9tHDGZolE.
- Il passato nel futuro. VEiL Public Archaeology Initiative, presentation video for TourismA, Firenze 2018 (official selection).
Last update: 29/08/2022