This is a preliminary reading list for this course.
The main required reading is the Geneva Refugee Convention and protocol (number 1 below)
The other entries, which are mainly primary source documents relative to EU asylum and immigration law, are strongly recommended. A firm knowledge of these documents will be necessary for any project concerning migration in the Mediterranean you may propose, even if your interest is primarily sociological. It is important that you understand the legal status of the migrant group you may be addressing.
Special attention should be paid on these documents to the sections that pertain to asylum and migration, since in many cases the documents treat broader issues; but the passages that refer to migration are clearly indicated. In several, you will be able to pull up the version in Italian or French, if the English is difficult for you.
For each entry a URL is given, which can be copied and pasted into a browser in order to pull up the document.
1) Geneva Refugee Convention 1951: https://www.unhcr.org/3b66c2aa10
2) TAMPERE EUROPEAN COUNCIL: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/summits/tam_en.htm
3) EU Qualifications directive: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex%3A32011L0095
4) EU Reception directive: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex%3A32013L0033
5) Returns directive: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex%3A32008L0115
6) Dublin II: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=celex%3A32003R0343
7) Mass influx directive (temporary protection): https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX%3A32001L0055
8) EU Charter of Fundamental Rights: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/charter/pdf/text_en.pdf
9) Universal declaration of Human Rights: https://www.un.org/en/about-us/universal-declaration-of-human-rights
10) EU Family Reunion directive: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=celex%3A32003L0086
11) FRONTEX Regulation: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/ALL/?uri=CELEX%3A32019R1896
12) Tampere Commentary: https://eucrim.eu/articles/twenty-years-tampere/
13) EUROPEAN COURT OF HUMAN RIGHTS DECISION: https://www.asylumlawdatabase.eu/en/content/ecthr-hirsi-jamaa-and-others-v-italy-gc-application-no-2776509