Knowledge and understanding:
- to know and understand the syntactics, logical, and grammatical structures of various writing systems of premodern Japan, with a focus on kanbun kundoku and hentai kanbun.
- to know useful tools for conducting independently bibliographical and philological research.
- to know and understand the deep relationship between Chinese (Sinitic) and Japanese language and writing.
- to memorize and recognize the principal cursive graphs (kuzushiji) of the phonetic syllabaries.
Apply knowledge and learning:
- analyze and interpret historical and literary documents using concepts and tools that students acquire during the course.
- use bibliographical references in several languages (including Japanese).
- use dictionaries, databases and other resources to do research about the proposed texts.
- provide critical reviews of the textual and historical-literary phenomena covered by the programme
- subject different types of resources (academic and creative texts) to critical analysis
- express opinions effectively.
- effectively reworking and expressing the views of third parties.
Long-term learning skills
- know how to conduct bibliographic research.
- know how to critically integrate the study of different materials (notes, slides, manuals, creation texts, academic articles).
- be able to read and synthesise materials written in different languages.