The course aims at providing the knowledge and the methodological bases necessary for the development and the application of advanced analytical procedures for the qualitative and quantitative determination of biomolecules in complex matrices. The student will acquire a broad spectrum of knowledge and skills in the bio-analytical field, which include:
Knowledge and understanding
- Knowledge of the fundamental principles and terminologies of the advanced analytical techniques.
- Knowledge of the problems connected with the collection and storage of a representative sample for the analysis
- Knowledge, planification and application of the methodologies for the preparation of samples aimed at the determination of biomolecules in complex matrices.
- Knowledge of the operational principles of the hardware and the management of software of advanced analytical instrumentations.
- Knowledge of the main features of the elaboration of data collected with advanced analytical techniques
Ability to apply knowledge and understanding
- To know how to correctly understand and use the technical-scientific terminology of advanced bio-analytical methodologies. To know how to identify the analytical technique and methodology most suitable for the qualitative/quantitative determination of the target analyte. To know how to identify the ideal combination of advanced bio-analytical techniques to obtain complete and integrated information according to the objective.
- To know how to identify and plan the most appropriate sampling procedures for collecting a representative sample and for its conservation before the analysis.
- To know how to identify and plan the most appropriate pre-analytical procedures for the determination of biomolecules based on the analytical objectives and constraints, with particular attention to the preservation of the analytes, to the specificity/selectivity/sensitivity of the analytical technique, and to the contamination.
- Knowing how to set up the use of advanced bio-analytical instrumentation within a framework of adaptability to new configurations.
- To know how to interpret experimental data to accurately define the concentration of the analyte in a complex matrix.
- Ability to express a judgment concerning the applicability of a given analytical technique in a specific context.
- Ability to be fully aware of the quality and interpretative value of the analytical data obtained / obtainable to answer specific and complex application questions or problems.
- Ability to recognize any errors through a critical analysis of the applied method
To know how to communicate to any level of users (general public, non-specialized customers and decision makers, technicians, experts) and with a proper technical language, the experimental plan, the instrumental operations and settings, and the results obtained from the use of advanced analytical techniques and of the methods for the determination of biomolecules in complex matrices.
To know how to use the scientific method as a working tool both for the continuation of the training, and for the professional activities.
To know how to identify and use the most suitable advanced analytical methodologies to solve specific analytical questions.