Winter School 2023
Translation Today: Technology, Trust and the Role of the Translator
As professionals, translators need to adapt and innovate to keep up with the ongoing technological developments in the translation services market, such as computer-aided translation services and machine translation tools. But the question is: to what extent should technology and human skills be trusted?
The aim of the School is to embrace technological advances in translation and to make the most of them. Through practical activities and theoretical lectures, scholars and professionals in the field will shed new light on technology and the role of translators today.
Lectures and seminars are scheduled from 11th to 15th December 2023, offering 30 academic hours of tuition. All activities will be held in English.
Last update: November 6th, 2023
|Book of Abstracts Winter School in Translation Studies 2023
2019 Summer School:
Translation in the 21st century and the challenge of sustainable development.
- Prof. Silvia Bernardini, University of Bologna, Italy
- Prof. Adriano Ferraresi, University of Bologna, Italy
- Prof. Giuliana Elena Garzone, IULM University, Italy
- Prof. David Katan, University of Salento, Italy
- Dr. Adrià Martín-Mor, Ph.D., California State University Long Beach, US
- Prof. Anthony Pym, University of Melbourne, Australia; Distinguished Professor of Translation and Intercultural Studies at Universitat Rovira I Virgili, Spain
- Dr. Giulia Togato, Ph.D., California State University Long Beach, US
Applications are welcome from:
- 2nd-year MA students in translation and/or interpreting, or modern languages with certified training and/or work experience in translation. Acceptance of students is subject to the submission of a brief cover letter outlining training and/or practical experience in translation. Please send an email to email@example.com
- MA and PhD holders in translation and/or interpreting;
- PhD students in translation and/or interpreting;
- translation instructors and trainers;
- scholars actively interested in research in Translation and Interpreting Studies;
- professionals in translation and/or interpreting.
For international candidates only: any request for online attendance will be considered by the organising committee upon submission of a letter stating the reasons for this request.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mirella Agorni, Ca' Foscari University of Venice (Director)
- Paolo Magagnin, Ca' Foscari University of Venice
- Nicoletta Pesaro, Ca' Foscari University of Venice
- Ilse Feinauer, University of Stellenbosch
- Anthony Pym, University of Melbourne, Universitat Rovira I Virgili
- Clorinda Donato, CSULB
- Grego Kim Serena, University of Milan
- Adriano Ferraresi, University of Bologna, Italy
- Silvia Bernardini, University of Bologna, Italy
Please fill in the registration form by 30th November 2023.
Applicants will be notified of admission at short notice.
Registration fee: € 250 (to be paid after admission confirmation).
15% early-bird discount for registrations received by 23rd October 2023.
The fee covers:
- lectures and seminars
- welcome coffee
- final buffet
- certificate of attendance
Venues and practical information
Our venues for the 2023 Ca’ Foscari Winter School in Translation Studies are located at Palazzo San Paolo of the Campus of Ca’ Foscari University of Venice, in the centre of the city of Treviso.
The Campus is ten minutes from Treviso Centrale railway station, which is in turn well connected to Venezia Mestre and Venezia Santa Lucia railway stations. Treviso itself is less than half an hour by train from Venice.
Treviso is also well served by Antonio Canova airport in Treviso and Marco Polo airport, just 13 km from Venice.