I. The coastal area
- Definition of the basic concepts. Basic hydrodynamic processes in the
coastal zone: waves and tides.
- Textural properties of sediments
- Tansport, bed forms, facies, and depositional environments
III. Coastal geomorphology
- Coastal systems dominated by waves and tides.
- Sediment transport processes. Seasonal and cyclic beach change.
- Morphological and hydrodynamic profile of the beach.
- Movement of sediment in the coastal area.
V. coastal Facies
- Beaches, costal dunes, sand flats and tidal flats.
VI. Sea level fluctuations and changes in morphological features
- Sea level variations referred to different temporal scales.
- Assessment of variations of s.l.r. during the last century.
- Analysis of coastal areas and sea level rise.
VII. Development of barrier island systems.
VIII. Deltas and estuaries.
IX. Environmental problems in the costal areas.
- Vulnerability and costal risk.
- Costal erosion. Adaptation of the beach profile in response to changes in sea level.
- Subsidence processes: examples from the Italian coast.
X. Study of coastal areas: methods of sampling sediments, geophysical analysis, monitoring of a beach
XI.Case study: the barrier island / lagoon system of Venice
- Identification of scenarios for the future of Venice and its lagoon.
XII. Possible thematic seminars