The Buddy Programme is a useful orientation tool and an important opportunity for intercultural and linguistic exchange for both international and Ca' Foscari students.
Ca' Foscari's Buddy Programme
Take advantage of the opportunity!
The Buddy Programme's principal aim is to give international students arriving in Venice a warm and friendly welcome by putting them in contact with helpful and more experienced peers.
The programme offers an invaluable opportunity to:
- facilitate community building and the integration of international students upon their arrival and throughout their time at Ca' Foscari
- facilitate intercultural and linguistic exchange
- make the university experience richer and more stimulating for both Italian and international students
Who can be a Buddy and what do Buddies do?
A Buddy is a Ca’ Foscari student who volunteers to act as a mentor for newly arrived international students by devoting his/her free time to the facilitatation of their integration into university life.
Buddies helps international students to become familiar with how university courses and administrative procedures work, with the various locations and services the university provides and with Venetian life and the cultural offerings of the city. Buddies can answer all kinds of questions regarding the university (classes, teachers, libraries, holidays, etc.), accommodation (apartments, rent, etc.), the city of Venice (public transportation, sports facilities, nightlife, etc.), Italy (travelling, interesting sites, etc.). The Buddy can also help the incoming student with the registration process and assist as an interpreter when needed.
How does an international student find a Buddy?
In order to find a Buddy, an international student should:
- browse the list of Ca’ Foscari students who have joined the Buddy Programme; this list is sent via email shortly before the student's study period at Ca' Foscari is set to begin;
- after identifying someone of interest, contact the potential Buddy via email in order to ask questions and arrange to meet upon the student's arrival in Venice.
If for any reason an international student is unable to make contact with a Buddy before his/her arrival, he/she will have the chance to meet potential Buddies at the International Welcome Days or at various cultural events organised throughout the year.
How does a Ca’ Foscari student become a Buddy?
The requirements to become a Buddy are:
- be currently enrolled at Ca’ Foscari;
- have free time available;
- be excited to share knowledge of the university and Venice.
Ca’ Foscari students interested in becoming a Buddy must complete the online form.
The information provided in this form will be compiled and sent to all incoming international students shortly before their arrival in Venice, at which point they will be encouraged to begin contacting Buddies via email. International students.
All the Buddies are asked to participate in various activities during the International Welcome Week, especially the orientation sessions held on the administrative Welcome Days. They are also encouraged to participate in other social and cultural events organised for Ca' Foscari's international community during the year.
- to be a Buddy during the fall semester or throughout the entire academic year, the deadline to register is May 31 (a voluntary online training session will be held in July)
- to be a Buddy during the spring semester, the deadline to register is November 22 (a voluntary online training session will be held in early December)
Last update: 25/05/2020