Inquadramento dell'insegnamento nel percorso del corso di studio
Risultati di apprendimento attesi
Knowledge and understanding: to learn the basic definition of the concept and components of leadership and how leadership differs from management; to understand the differences among the theoretical approaches to leadership and how they have evolved over time; to become aware of the different leadership styles that can be adopted to build a resonant relationship with the followers; to learn the models which can enable leaders to introduce organizational changes; to understand the principles of ethical leadership.
Application of knowledge and understanding: to evaluate the different leadership’s theoretical frameworks considering their implication on group and corporate decision making; to compare the different behaviors that pertain to different leadership styles and to identify the contextual factors that lead to adopt specific solutions; to practice leadership’s behaviors in simulated and real-life contexts.
Ability to formulate judgements: to analyze and critically evaluate the contextual factors that influence the adoption of the leadership behaviors; to become aware of the personal leaderships styles and understand how to choose the most appropriate behaviors according to the characteristics of the situations.
In the first part of the course, the issue of leadership will be discussed considering different perspectives and adopting an evolutionary approach. The course will provide the knowledge to understand how the changes occurred in the organizational and technological context have led to the transition to different models of leadership, up to considering the emerging models.
• Introduction to leadership: What is leadership and why study it
• The evolution of leadership theory
In the second part of the course, the issue of leadership will be addressed considering the main organizational processes and the related behaviors through which leadership can be effectively manifested:
• The leadership styles to build resonant relationships
• Inspirational leadership: creating commitment through a compelling organizational vision
• Leader as a coach: enhancing the growth and the development of followers
• Group decision-making: promoting engagement through followers’ participation and managing conflicts
• Building teams and favoring a positive organizational climate
• Setting challenging goals
• Leading organizational change
• Leading in a digital world
Testi di riferimento
Modalità di verifica dell'apprendimento
- in-class lessons;
- presentation and discussion of video-clips that introduce or exemplify the topics of the course;
- presentation and discussion in the classroom of case studies illustrating the behaviors associated with leadership;
- role-playing games and simulations;
- role modeling and corporate testimonials who will report cases and examples of leadership exercise;
- assignments to be carried out in small groups or individually that allow students to bring the concepts learned back to practice. Students will be involved in techniques which will support them during their learning path, such as multi-rater assessment of their leadership styles, journaling to improve their capacity of self-reflection on their learning experience, peer-coaching with other members of the class
Lingua di insegnamento
Modalità di esame
Obiettivi Agenda 2030 per lo sviluppo sostenibile
Questo insegnamento tratta argomenti connessi alla macroarea "Capitale umano, salute, educazione" e concorre alla realizzazione dei relativi obiettivi ONU dell'Agenda 2030 per lo Sviluppo Sostenibile