Pre-enrolment and visa application
The procedures described below apply only to international students who require a visa for long-term stay in Italy.
These procedures do not concern:
- citizens of countries in the European Union, as well as from Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and the Swiss Confederation, the Republic of San Marino and the Holy See, even if they hold a foreign academic qualification;
- foreign citizens already living legally in Italy as expressly indicated in Art. 39, paragraph 5 of Legislative Decree 2864 of 25 July 1998.
The admission process for non-EU students who require a visa to finalize the enrolment procedures follows the directives published annually by the Italian Ministry of University and Research (MUR) in collaboration with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAECI) and the Ministry of the Interior.
These guidelines also establish the procedures and deadlines for pre-enrolment with Italian agencies abroad and the application for a study visa.
All details and information regarding deadlines are available in the document “Procedures for entry, residency and enrolment at higher education institutions for students requiring visas for higher education courses in Italy, for the academic year 2020-2021” on the international students page of the Ministry [ITA].
The updated version for the 2020/2021 academic year was published on 16 June 2020 and outlines the procedures subject to the current and future emergency provisions of the Italian Government and the European Union regarding the containment of the COVID-19 epidemic.
Pre-enrolment procedure on the Universitaly portal
In early June 2020, the pre-enrolment procedure was digitized with the launch of the Universitaly portal. This online portal is now the only means of completing the pre-enrolment procedure.
Non-EU candidates who receive the letter of eligibility for enrolment in a bachelor’s or master’s degree program must complete the pre-enrolment procedure by logging in to theportal and filling in the application online.
Candidates who receive a letter of eligibility for enrolment are reminded that this document:
- does not replace the pre-enrolment procedure, which nonetheless needs to be completed on the Universitaly portal;
- does not imply any guarantee of or automatic right to the issuing of the relative study visa, which is the exclusive responsibility of the competent embassy or consulate;
- neither replaces nor implies any claim regarding the relative enrolment procedures for the chosen course of study; these procedures will only be finalised following the completion of the online pre-enrolment procedure and the granting of a study visa, and are subject to the verification of the authenticity of the documentation produced and the provision of all the elements necessary for successful enrolment.
Registration and submission of the application on the Universitaly portal
- Register (you can switch to English/Italian on the top right of the webpage);
- Fill in the fields required to create your profile and remember to:
- Enter your personal information exactly as presented in in your passport;
- The self-generated Italian tax code (codice fiscale) is not official. If you do not already have an official tax code, one shall be issued to you once the university enrolment procedure has been completed. Visit the page dedicated to Your stay, insurance, transport for more information.
- Only use the email with which you registered on Ca’ Foscari’s online application portal.
- You will receive an email asking you to confirm your account and complete your registration by choosing a password;
- Click on Domanda di preiscrizione > Nuova domanda di preiscrizione (Pre-enrolment application > New pre-enrolment application) to start. Remember that you can only send one application for the 2020/2021 academic year, so you must indicate one university and one study programme;
- STEP A:
- select the academic year (2020/2021)
- check your personal data
- STEP B:
- check your passport information
- upload a passport photo and a scanned copy of your passport
- indicate at which Embassy/Consulate you will apply for a visa and the reason (“I want to enrol in a study programme”)
- select “Università “Ca’ Foscari” VENEZIA” and the course for which you received the letter of eligibility for enrolment as well as the curriculum, where available (it is recommended that you not filter the courses by teaching language, so that the curricula are visible).
- If you have been accepted for multiple courses, you must choose one
- You do NOT need to enter “Identification account at the chosen University/AFAM/Institute”
- STEP C:
- Upload the academic qualification certificates and supporting documents that you provided for your pre-evaluation on Ca’ Foscari’s online application portal:
- final diploma (if available) or provisional certificate - copy of original and Italian/English translation (where necessary)
- certificate showing the exams taken - copy of original and Italian/English translation (where necessary)
- language certificate(s) (where required)
- CIMEA Statement of Comparability/Declaration of Value/Diploma Supplement (where held)
- Check your details and submit the pre-enrolment application.
After sending the pre-enrolment application, the university staff will check the applications received via the Universitaly portal in order to indicate the final result of the pre-evaluation process carried out previously on the university’s online application portal, specifying whether they have been accepted or conditionally accepted.
Once the university staff has completed its check, the pre-enrolment applications will be forwarded by the system to the competent Embassies/Consulates, where they will be processed according to the relative methods and time frames.
Applications from candidates with conditional offers may be accepted by the embassies/consulates subject to these conditions being fulfilled.
Should pre-enrolment applications be received from candidates who have failed to complete the pre-evaluation procedure on apply.unive.it within the established deadlines, the staff in charge will be unable to approve the application.
Visa application procedure
Once the pre-enrolment application has been approved by the university and the agencies, candidates can start the visa application. The procedure may vary according to the provisions issued by the individual Italian embassies and consulates abroad and it is the candidate's responsibility to inquire about specific procedures and deadlines.
The procedures for issuing these visas must be concluded by the embassies/consulates, without prejudice to possible different future instruction, by 30 November 2020.
For general information about the requirements for obtaining a visa, please refer to the circular (Part IV: incoming visa for study purposes, residency permit & subsequent measures) attached to the ministerial website.
The embassy or consulate is exclusively responsible for the final decision on the issue of a study visa.
The documentation produced by the higher education institutions in relation to a candidate’s application for a visa is considered as supporting information in the evaluation procedures carried out by these agencies, and does not automatically imply the issue of a visa.
Enrolment procedures for students requiring a study visa are currently being adapted in response to the new regulations.
Updated information will be published on the Enrolment dates and procedures for international students page as soon as it is available.
Requirements upon arrival in Italy
You must apply for a permit of stay within 8 days of your arrival in Italy.
Thanks to the collaboration with the Italian Postal Service and the Immigration Office of the Venice Police Headquarters, the International Office’s Counseling and Welcome Unit offers support in applying for permits of stay.
Go to Your stay, insurance, transport for more information.
Last update: 17/11/2020