Students: your stay, insurance, transport

Vaporetto a Venezia

This page offers international students useful information about living in Italy and in Venice in particular: how to obtain the documents necessary for your stay in Italy (tax code and Residence permit), how to get health insurance, how to find accommodation and how to get around Venice by public transport.

You should also take a look at the page about your Multiservice Card, your university ID that gives you access to libraries, allows you to make photocopies and to obtain a handy rechargeable prepaid card.

UK students after Brexit (1st January 2021)

In accordance with the provisions of the EU Regulation 2019/592, starting from 1 January 2021 (the end of the transition period) the United Kingdom will be added to Annex II of the EU regulation 2018/1806.

Starting from 1 January 2021, British citizens planning to stay in Italy for more than 90 days within 180 days, will be subject to National visas requirements.

If you are a British Citizen willing to study in Italy, please contact the nearest Italian Embassy/Consulate in your Country in order to get the full lists of documents needed in order to apply for the Visa for Study purposes. The Counselling and Welcome Unit will be at your disposal if we can help you to produce some of the required documents, please write an email to

If you are a UK student currently in Italy, you can download here the key actions for UK national students in Italy: check your residence, access to healthcare, your travel, your student support and tuition fees.

What is it?

The Italian Codice Fiscale, or Tax code, identifies citizens in their relations with public bodies and administrations. It consists of 16 alphanumeric characters (letters and numbers reproducing your personal data: surname, name, gender, place and date of birth).

Tax codes are issued by the Agenzia delle Entrate (Revenue Office). Citizens entitled to receive healthcare from the National Health Service will receive a Health Insurance card with their Tax Code.

How to request it

As of August 26th, 2013, you are able to request your Tax Code directly at the International Office - Welcome Unit, thanks to an agreement with the Agenzia delle Entrate, the revenue office issuing this document. If you want to receive the Tax Code Certificate through our office, we kindly ask you to write an email to

Otherwise, before your arrival, you can also request The Tax Code Certificate to the nearest Italian Diplomatic authority in your Country of residence (in this case, we kindly ask you to send a scanned copy of the Tax Code Certificate to

Contacts and reservations

EU Citizens

If you are a EU citizen you can stay in Italy for up to 3 months provided you have an international recognised travel ID issued by your country of origin. After 3 months of entry to Italy, you will be required to register by taking the following documents to your local Anagrafe (Registry Office): self-certification of enrolment, health insurance and documents demonstrating that you have the financial means to support yourself.

Non-EU Citizens

If you are a non-EU citizen intending to stay in Italy for over 3 months you need to request a permit to stay within 8 days of entering Italy.
Thanks to the collaboration with the Italian Post Offices (Poste Italiane) and the Immigration Office at the Venice Police Headquarters (Questura di Venezia), the International Office - Welcome Unit will provide you with support in requesting your Permit to Stay.
The procedure requires the following steps:

  1. Appointment at the International Office - Welcome Unit for the support in preparing the documents and filling in the forms (Kit for the Permit of Stay). Advance booking is required. In case you just arrived in Venice for the first time you can book a  group appointment at this link. Otherwise you can book a single appointment.
  2. Delivery of the originals documents and payment of the fee at the Post Office. At the end of the operation the P.O. clerk will issue you the receipt for your registered letter. You can use this receipt to register at the Anagrafe (Registry Office) and with the local health authority. 
    This receipt contains two personal ID codes (User ID and Password) that you can use on to check the progress of your application or on the local police authorities website to check whether your permit to stay is ready for collection.
    In addition to the receipt, you will also be told when to go to the Questura (local police headquarters) for your first appointment.
  3. Appointment with the Questura for the final check of the documents previously handed to the Post Office. When you go to the Questura you must provide the following: four passport-sized photographs with a white background, a copy of the documents sent with the kit, your original passport and the receipt for the registered letter enclosing the kit. 
    During your appointment you will have your fingerprints taken;
  4. If you reported an Italian phone number in the application kit, you will receive a SMS text when your Stay Permit card is ready. Please attend the appointment you will receive by SMS in order to pick up your card. If you don’t abide by that, you might not receive it. In case you miss your appointment, please check this webpage > “Ritiro permessi pronti” in order to know when the card can be collected.
  5. Send a copy of your permit of stay to


For more information

International Office - Welcome Unit
Tel. +39 041 234 7575

Contacts and reservations

Health insurance

EU students, SEE State students (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and students from Switzerland

All necessary healthcare for European and EU-equated students is covered by the Italian National Health Service: you need to have the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which is issued by your national health authorities.

If you do not have a EHIC card, you should contact the health service in your country prior to your departure.

This card ensures that you will have the same access to the public health care sector (e.g. access to a doctor, recovery in a hospital or a health care centre) as a citizen of the country you are visiting. In general you should be provided with adequate care that will allow you to continue with your stay. However, it is important to note that the card does not cover payments for private sector health care providers, for which it is necessary to ask the S2 route to your belonging country.
In case of transfer of your residency in Italy, you should ask your belonging country to issue the S1 route, which gives you the possibility to receive the same health care as the Italian residing citizen, through the compulsory inscription to the National Health Service. The inscription to the National Health Service has to be done in the Health District you belong to.


Students from countries with bilateral agreements

Students from countries with bilateral agreements benefit of the same health insurance from the National Health Service thanks to the specific health certificates released by the health Services Institutions of their belonging countries. Please find below a list of the states and their relative health certificates:

  • Australia – Medicare Card (valid for 6 months after the start of your stay in Italy)
  • Brazil - I/B 2 Certificate
  • Croatia – 111 Certificate
  • Bosnia Herzegovina, Macedonia, Serbia and Montenegro – OBR7 Certificate
  • Principality of Monaco – I/MC 8 Certificate
  • Republic of San Marino – I/SMAR 8 Certificate

These certificates have to be delivered to the Health District before applying for health care. The Health District in turn will give you a specific certificate, that will be useful anytime you need health care. These forms do not cover the costs of private health care, but allow you to obtain urgent health services, especially during your stay in Italy, in the public health centers. If you need planned health care, it is necessary to have a specific Certificate released by your country. As an alternative to all the certificates cited above, it is possible to voluntary subscribe to the Regional Health Service following the procedures described below.

Non-European students

When applying for their residence permit, non-European students are required to provide evidence of health insurance coverage. The health insurance coverage can be obtained:

  1. With a private insurance contract. You can subscribe a private insurance contract valuable in Italy and abroad with the following requirements:

    • t must be valid in Italy;
    • It must cover all risks of illness;
    • It must have a coverage for the entire period of your stay in Italy and have specific dates of release and expiration;
    • It must include indication about the procedures needed to ask for a reimbursement;
    • It must be legally translated in Italian language if the insurance policy has been issued by your belonging country.

  2. With a voluntary registration to the Regional Health Service. In this case the student should go to the Health District and provide:

    • A copy of the residence permit or the receipt of the application form for obtaining the residence permit released by the qualified Post Offices (Post receipt);
    • An italian fiscal code;
    • Receipt of the payment of € 149.77 in the bank account n. 343301 of “Poste italiane S.p.A- C.S.S.N. Regione Veneto”.

The voluntary registration gives you the right of obtaining the same health care as an Italian citizen, it has a validity of a calendar year (1st January – 31st December), it is not apportionable and cannot be backdated.


Healtcare assistance in Venice

If you are not feeling well and need to see a doctor, you can refer to one of the General Practitioners of any Healthcare District in the area of the Azienda Sanitaria n°12 Veneziana (ULSS 12) or to the one that is assigned to you if you enrol voluntarily to the Regional Health Service.
In case of emergency, you can go to the First Aid section of Venice Hospital at “SS. Giovanni e Paolo” Hospital in Venice, Castello 6777 (public boat service: line no. 41 or 52, waterbus lines n. 41, 51, 52) or Ospedale dell'Angelo in Mestre (via Paccagnella n 11; bus H1, H2 from Mestre; bus 80H from Venice). Do not forget to bring with you:

  • ID or passport;
  • TEAM card or the form that the Health District has given to you (for students from countries with bilateral agreements) or, alternatively, a valid Health Insurance or your Health Card if you have already enrolled to the Regional Health System.

In case of emergency, dial the free number 118.

Pharmacies and medicines

Normally, pharmacies follow a commercial schedule, however there are a few 24-hour pharmacies open in case of emergency.
If you are undergoing a special treatment, remember to check the availability of your medicine and to bring your prescription with you to the pharmacy.
For a list of 24h pharmacies in Venice, please check the this webpage.

Administrative offices - ULSS 12 Venice

Distretto Sociosanitario (Health District) n° 1
Dorsoduro 1454 - Venice
T + 39 041 529 4920
Monday > Friday 8.30 AM > 11.30 AM

Distretto Sociosanitario (Health District) n° 2
Piazzale Ravà 1 Lido – Venice
T + 39 041 529 5126 / 5133
Monday, Tuesday, Friday 8.30 AM > 11.30 AM
Wednesday 2 PM > 4 PM

Distretto Sociosanitario (Health District) n° 3
Via Cappuccina 129, Venezia-Mestre
T + 39 041 260 8168 / 69
Monday, Tuesday, Friday 8.30 AM > 11.30 AM
Tuesday, Thursday 2.30 PM > 3.30 PM

Distretto Sociosanitario (Health District) n° 4
Via Triestina, Mestre/Favaro Veneto
T + 39 041 635 463
Monday > Friday 9 AM > 12 PM
Tuesday, Thursday 2.30 PM > 4.00 PM

Finding somewhere to live in Venice

You can either carry out your own search for a room to rent in a student flatshare in Venice or use the services offered by the Housing Office or ESU Venezia.

Housing Office

The Housing Office is a service provided by Ca' Foscari university on behalf of students, researchers and university staff. It helps users to find affordable accommodation meeting their needs by providing them with contact information for halls of residence, private flats, hotels or accommodation provided by religious institutions approved by Ca’ Foscari.

When you enrol, you will be sent a Housing Office form by Ca' Foscari giving you access to the housing services.

For more information go to the Housing office page.

ESU Venezia

ESU is a regional body providing students with various services such as accommodation and catering services (university refectories). ESU offers students accommodation in halls of residence as well as providing them with information about privately rented accommodation. There are 6 halls of residence situated in Venice with a total capacity of 530 places. Places will be allocated from the 15 September 2013 to the end of June-July 2014.

In order to be eligible for a place in the ESU halls of residence you need to meet the requirements listed in the Allocation Policy, which can be downloaded in English or Italian from You can make your application online.

For further information and to get in touch with ESU just go to or to the Student Information desk at:
San Tomà (entrance by the kiosk)

San Polo 2843, Campo S. Tomà, 30125 Venice
tel. +39 041 275 0926 - fax +39 041 721 401

Private accommodation

If you wish to find a room for rent in a student flatshare you can either ask the Housing Office or ESU Venezia for help, get in touch with the many flatshare ads displayed on noticeboards in the various university departments and libraries, or look for flatshare opportunities online. Make sure you contact the landlord in person, visit the room before signing any kind of tenancy agreement and check that the tenancy agreement conditions are valid.

Getting to Venice

Two buses go from the Venice Marco Polo airport to Venice: the No. 5 ACTV bus or the direct ATVO bus; both buses go to Piazzale Roma. You can also travel via sea from this airport by using the Alilaguna service.

If you arrive at the Treviso Canova airport you can take an ATVO bus or the No. 6 ACTT bus going to the Treviso railway station where you can take a train going to the Santa Lucia railway station in Venice.

Getting around Venice

Venice is a very safe city that you can walk around in at any time of day or night. Public transport consists of water buses, or vaporetti, with about 22 lines providing a day and night service to the entire lagoon area. The transport system is run by ACTV, which is responsible for operating water buses in the lagoon as well as buses and trams on the mainland.

In order to use public transport, whether in the lagoon or on the mainland, we recommend getting an Imob travel card, a personal smart card that you load with tickets then validate by holding it near the Smart-card reader on the landing stage (or in the bus/tram when travelling on the mainland). In fact, the Venetian transport system no longer uses paper tickets, which have been replaced by electronic ticketing using the Imob card.

Imob cards can be requested at all ACTV/Hellovenezia offices, including the office at Piazzale Roma, the entrance to the city. The card is valid for 3 years. You will need the following:

  • Application form (available at the desk) — completed with your personal data and then signed
  • a passport-sized photograph (3 x 3.5 cm)
  • Photocopy of your ID document
  • Tax code (to be filled in on form)
  • Certificate of enrolment at Ca' Foscari

Once you have got your Imob card, you can load it with single tickets, 10-ticket carnets or travel passes at ACTV offices or authorised sellers (tobacconists or newspaper kiosks). You can choose between:

  • single ticket for waterborne/land transport (bus/trams to Mestre), valid 75 min;
  • 10-ticket carnet for waterborne/land transport (bus/trams to Mestre);
  • monthly waterbus pass for students;
  • monthly pass for waterbus + bus/tram (to Mestre).

Remember to always validate your ticket/pass on every journey.

Last update: 12/10/2021