|Telefono||041 234 8403|
firstname.lastname@example.org - Cristiano VARIN
|Fax||041 234 8584|
www.unive.it/persone/cristiano.varin (scheda personale)
Dipartimento di Scienze Ambientali, Informatica e Statistica
Sito web struttura: https://www.unive.it/dais
Sede: Campus scientifico via Torino
|Research Institute||Research Institute for Complexity|
Componente del Presidio di Qualità
- February 2003 PhD in Statistics, University of Padova
- July 1999 Laurea in Social Statistics, University of Padova (score 110/110 cum laude)
- October 2015 – today: Associate Professor in Statistics, Ca’ Foscari University
- February 2007 – October 2015: Assistant Professor in Statistics, Ca’ Foscari University
- February 2007: Visiting Professor (1 month) at University Paris V René Descartes
- February 2003 – January 2007: Assistant Researcher at universities of Padova and Udine
November 2014: Full Professor in Statistics (with unanimous vote)
Cristiano Varin’s research interests span statistical methodology and applications. He is internationally recognized as a leading figure in the diffusion of composite likelihood inference. He wrote two highly cited papers (according to Web of Science) in the category of mathematical disciplines (highly cited papers belong to the 1% of the most cited in the field) that are commonly cited as key references of composite likelihood methods. The international interest towards his contributions to composite likelihood is attested by many invited talks at various university departments and conferences, including the conferences of the Royal Statistical Society and the Institute of Mathematical Statistics, and two invited short PhD courses (2 days) at University Milan Bicocca and University of Rome Sapienza. He co-organized the two workshops on composite likelihood methods (Warwick, April 2008; Banff International Research Center, Canada, April 2012).
Other recent methodological work regards copula regression, meta-analysis, paired comparison data modelling. A special interest is the development of free and open-source statistical software. Two R packages coauthored with other personnell of this research project have been published on the CRAN repository (gcmr, with Guido Masarotto; metaLik, with Annamaria Guolo).
One of his most important recent achievements is the “read paper” of the Royal Statistical Society with David Firth (Warwick) and Manuela Cattelan (Padova), on statistical modelling of the citations exchanged between scholarly journals, published with discussion (about 30 contributions).
He has collaborated with some of the foremost scholars from leading international institutions (University of Toronto, Warwick University, University of Oslo) and has participated in several national and international projects. He is currently working on the monograph “Likelihood and its Extensions” with Nancy Reid (Toronto) and Grace Yi (Waterloo), to be published by Chapman & Hall. He is a named research partner of the prestigious EPRSC-funded “Intractable Likelihood” project led by Gareth Roberts (Warwick) and several other Guy medallists of the Royal Statistical Society. He served as Associate Editor for the Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C for the period 2013-2016.
AWARDS & HONORS
- Royal Statistical Society read paper Varin et al (2015). `Statistical modeling of citation exchange among statistics journals’ read at the Ordinary Meeting of the Royal Statistical Society on May 13, 2015 and published with discussion on Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A.
- Gumbel lecture 2006 The Gumbel Lecture is a special plenary named lecture annually awarded to a young statistician by the German Statistical Society.
- Highly Cited Papers According to the database “Essential Science Indicators” by Thomson Reuters, three papers belong to the 1% of the most cited papers in the mathematical disciplines of the last ten years (“ESI Highly Cited Papers”): Varin and Guolo (2017, Statistical Methods in Medical Research), Varin et al. (2011, Statistica Sinica), Varin (2008, ASTA).
- Scientific societies: American Statistical Association, Institute of Mathematical Statistics, Italian Statistical Society, Royal Statistical Society.
- Research programmes: research partner of the EPSRC UK programme i-like “intractable likelihoods”, Universities Bristol, Lancaster, Oxford, Warwick.
- Research associate (2008-2013) of the Center for Research in Statistical Methodology (CRiSM), University of Warwick.
Invited conference talks
- December 2018 University of Pisa, 11th ERCIM International Conference
- October 2018 Aachen University, Workshop Challenges for Categorical Data Analysis
- December 2017 London, 10th ERCIM International Conference
- July 2017 University of Cambridge, Scalable Statistical Inference Workshop
- May 2013 University of Warwick, i-like (intractable likelihood) Workshop
- September 2012 ENSAI Rennes, GDR Statistique & Santé
- September 2011 University of Pavia, 8th Scientific Meeting CLADAG
- August 2010 University of Gothenburg, 73rd Annual Meeting Institute of Mathematical Statistics
- September 2010 Brighton, Royal Statistical Society Conference 2010
- July 2009 EPFL Lausanne, Workshop on Spatial Extremes and Applications
- September 2006 Dresden, Annual Meeting of the German Statistical Society
Invited talks at university departments or research centres
Wien University Economics and Business (2016, 2013), University of Innsbruck (2015), Hasselt University (2012), University of Copenhagen (2011), University of Toronto (2011), University Pompeu Fabra Barcellona (2010), University of Oslo (2009), University of Warwick (2009, 2005), University Paris V Descartes (2008, 2007), Ludwig-Maximilians University Munich (2006), University Rome Tor Vergata (2006), EPFL Lausanne (2006), University Ca’ Foscari (2006), University of Perugia (2004), University of Udine (2004) Three invited conference discussions and 25 contributed presentations at conferences and workshops.
- 2018-today: Associate Editor of Statistical Methods and Applications
- 2013-2016: Associate Editor of Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C
- 2014: Guest Associate Editor of Statistica Sinica
Annals of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics; Annals of Applied Statistics; Behavior Research Methods; Bernoulli; Biometrical Journal; Biometrics; Biometrika; Biostatistics; Canadian Journal of Statistics; Computational Statistics; Computational Statistics and Data Analysis; Communication in Statistics - Simulation and Computation; Environmentrics; Foundations and Trends in Econometrics; IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing; International Journal of Biostatistics; Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics; Journal of Multivariate Analysis; Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference; Journal of the American Statistical Association; Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A; Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B; Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C; Journal of Statistical Software; Metron; Psycometrika; SAGE Open Medicine; Soil Research; Stat; Statistical Methods and Applications; Statistical Methods in Medical Research; Statistical Modelling; Statistical Papers; Statistical Science; Statistica Sinica; Statistics and Computing; Statistics in Medicine; Transportation Research Part B; Transportmetrika
Books and proceedings
Advances in Econometrics; Copulae in Mathematical and Quantitative Finance; Italian Statistical Society conference; S.Co conference.
Athens University of Economics and Business; Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research; Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada; Norwegian Council of Research; Swiss National Science Foundation; The Royal Society of New Zealand.
- 2017-2020: FFABR - Funding for basic activies related to research, Minister Education, University and Research (5K euros)
- 2016-2018: Supervisor of Marie Curie Fellowship dr. Xanthi Pedeli (168K euros)
- 2013-2015: IRIDE - Research incentive, Department of Environmental Sciences, Informatics and Statistics, University Ca’ Foscari (4.5K euros)
- 2012: Grant for the organization of the “Second Workshop on Composite Likelihood Methods” at the Banff International Research Station, with H Joe (Vancouver), D Firth (Wariwck), N Reid (Toronto), P Song (Michigan) (ca 40K canadian dollars).
- 2009-2012: Investigator local research unit, PRIN 2008 “Approximate likelihood methods for complex dependence structures”. PI P Vidoni (Udine)
- 2008-2011: Investigator Cariparo Excellence Project “ML2: Modified likelihood methods for evaluating the effects of the mobility lists program in the Veneto region”. PI E Battistin (Padova)
- 2007-2009: Investigator local research unit PRIN 2006 “New likelihood methods for complex models”. PI P Vidoni (Udine)
- 2005-2007: Investigator local research unit PRIN 2004 “Trattamento statistico della complessità e dell’incertezza negli studi ambientali”. PI D Cocchi (Bologna)
- 2003-2005: Investigator local research unit PRIN 2002 “Statistica nel supporto alla decisione ambientale: identificazione, monitoraggio e valutazione di intervento”. PI D. Cocchi (Bologna)
- 2002: Norwegian Council of Research 3-months research grant “A comparison of estimation procedures useful in spatial statistics”, supervisor N Hjort (Oslo)
- 2001-2003: Investigator local research unit PRIN 2000 “Statistica nella valutazione del rischio ambientale”. PI G Lovison (Palermo)
Le informazioni riportate sono state caricate sul sito dell'Università Ca' Foscari Venezia direttamente dall'utente a cui si riferisce la pagina. La correttezza e veridicità delle informazioni pubblicate sono di esclusiva responsabilità del singolo utente.