Swiss-European Mobility Programme
The SEMP Program - Swiss European Mobility Program allows students enrolled in Swiss universities to carry out a period of mobility for studies or research at Ca’ Foscari University of Venice. Since Switzerland is not eligible for mobilities within the Erasmus+ program, the Swiss Federal Council has created a temporary solution by establishing the Swiss European Mobility Programme which Ca’ Foscari University has joined through ad hoc agreements.
Procedures for your home university
To be nominated as a SEMP student, first of all you have to contact the International Relations Office of your university in order to:
- make sure that your University has a valid bilateral exchange agreement with Ca' Foscari University (please check the list of partner universities);
- ask your home university International Office the detailed procedure for selection and grant;
- make sure that your home university send us your official nomination ( email@example.com) before the deadline.
Deadlines for nominations from partner universities
- April 1st - SEMP incoming mobility for the first semester or whole academic year (arrival in September);
- October 1st - SEMP incoming mobility for the second semester (arrival in January/February).
Procedures for SEMP students
After being officially nominated, SEMP incoming students receive Ca' Foscari Welcome Message, with a unique code (token) for the online registration.
To register correctly, students have to prepare beforehand, and then upload, the following documents:
- transcript of records (prepared by the home university);
- learning agreement;
- English or Italian certificate (B2 level) - check the "Recognized certification" tab;
- copy of a valid ID or passport.
Forms must be uploaded in the website for the online registration.
Original documents will be handed at the first meeting in Venice.
Deadlines for students' online registration
- April 30th - SEMP mobility for the first semester or the full academic year (September arrivals);
- October 30th - SEMP mobility for the second semester (January arrivals).
Before you leave your country
Do not forget to:
- have an identification document valid for foreign travel;
- have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC card) issued by your National Health Authorities (for EU students) or another health insurance (for non-EU students).
During your stay
Appointments with the International Relations Office
- Arrange an appointment with the International Relations Office (choose "Welcome Unit"). Each appointment is individual.
Programmes and courses
- SEMP incoming students can attend all the courses offered, as detailed in the Guideline for course catalogue
Ca' Foscari offers a great variety of courses entirely taught in English or with facilities in English (bibliography, final exam, support).
Each course website presents all the details: professor's name and contacts, timetable, programme. In case of mobility for research activities, the student won’t receive any credit at the end of the mobility period.
Changes to the Learning Agreement
- In case you want to change the Learning Agreement please send an email to the Welcome Unit ( firstname.lastname@example.org): the staff will check and sign your L.A., they will update your courses in your online career and they will send the signed document to your home University for the final approval.
|Change form||87 K|
Extension of stay
- If you wish to request an extension of your study period at Ca’ Foscari University, you need to provide the Welcome Unit ( email@example.com) with the authorization from your home university (an e-mail will be enough).
Before leaving Venice
In order to officially close your SEMP period in Venice, please write an email to the Welcome Unit ( firstname.lastname@example.org) and send the following data and documents:
- Learning Agreement and Changes to the Learning Agreement (if any);
- List of courses you have taken and grades received;
The Welcome Unit staff will send you the official Transcript of Records by email.
Transcript of Records
As soon as your exam results have been registered at the end of the study period in Venice, a Transcript of Records will be issued by the Welcome Unit; this document includes the list of the exams the student has passed at Ca’ Foscari and a conversion of the grades according to the ECTS scale.
The ECTS grades are generated automatically upon the creation of your transcript by taking into account the results obtained by all of the students who have taken the same exam at Ca' Foscari in the last three years.
Here is an example of how the calculation works: Mario Lopez received a grade of 19/30 on the "English Language" exam associated with the code LT005P.
The percentage of Ca' Foscari students who obtained the same grade on the same exam in the last three years is 2%, which on the ECTS scale is interpreted as an E.
The formula used in this conversion process can be found in the ECTS guide published by the European Commission.
Please, be informed that only exams with a passing grade will be reported in the final Transcript of Records.
Incoming students with special needs
Incoming students with special needs can report any needs by sending an appropriate medical certificate to the Welcome Unit that will contact the Inclusion Unit to request specific support.
Among the available services:
- initial support in familiarizing with the university buildings where the students’ lessons are held, the libraries and the administration offices;
- reservation of seats in the classrooms and potential help in obtaining the study materials and lectures notes;
- support in preparing for the exam and during the exam itself, tutor support (if required);
- mediation of the office with professors in agreeing on the examination procedure, as follows:
- additional time,
- use of PC,
- enlarged examination text (indicate font and/or typestyle),
- Italian Sign Language (LIS) interpreter,
- additional time + use of PC,
- additional time + enlarged examination text,
- additional time + Italian Sign Language (LIS) interpreter,
- oral instead of written exam modality,
- written instead of oral exam modality.
Last update: 26/05/2023