Overseas mobility - incoming students
Thanks to bilateral mobility agreements between non-EU universities and Ca’ Foscari, incoming overseas students are selected by their universities for participation in international cultural exchanges. Their stay in Venice will enhance their university education, increase their knowledge of other cultures and languages, and provide them with an important life experience.
Procedures for your home university
To come to Ca' Foscari as an Overseas Incoming student, you must contact the International Relations Office of your home university to:
- make sure that your University has a valid bilateral exchange agreement with Ca' Foscari University (please check the list of partner universities);
- get information about the detailed procedure for selection and grant;
- make sure that your home university send us your official nomination ( firstname.lastname@example.org) before the deadline.
Deadlines for nominations by partner universities:
- April 1st - Overseas Incoming mobility for the first semester or whole academic year (arrival in September);
- October 1st - Overseas Incoming mobility for the second semester (arrival in January/February).
Procedures for incoming Overseas students
After being officially nominated, Overseas Incoming students receive Ca' Foscari Welcome Message, with a unique code (token) for the online registration.
Students have to prepare the following documents:
- one passport-size photo (good quality, JPG format, 4MB max.);
- transcript of records (prepared by the home university);
- learning agreement;
- English or Italian certificate (B2 level) - check the "Recognized certification" tab;
- copy of a valid ID or passport.
Forms must be uploaded in the website for the online registration.
Original documents will be handed at the first meeting in Venice.
Deadlines for incoming students' online registration
- April 30th - Overseas mobility for the first semester or the full academic year (September arrivals);
- October 30th - Overseas mobility for the second semester (January arrivals).
Before you leave your country
Do not forget to:
- have an identification document valid for foreign travel;
- only for non-EU students: ask the Welcome Unit of Ca’ Foscari University ( email@example.com) for an official university acceptance letter for the VISA;
- have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC card) issued by your National Health Authorities (for EU students) or another health insurance (for non-EU students);
- take your appointment with the Welcome Unit in order to finalise your enrolment.
During your stay
Appointments with the International Relations Office
- In order to arrange an appointment with the International Relations Office click here and choose "Welcome Unit". Each appointment is individual.
Programmes and courses
- Overseas Incoming students can attend all the courses offered, as detailed in the Guideline for course catalogue.
Ca' Foscari offers a great variety of courses entirely taught in English or with facilities in English (bibliography, final exam, support).
Each course website presents all the details: professor's name and contacts, timetable, programme. In case of mobility for research activities, the student won’t receive any credit at the end of the mobility period.
Changes to the Learning Agreement
- In case you want to change the Learning Agreement you have to arrange a meeting with the Welcome Unit: the staff will check and sign your L.A., they will update your courses in your online career and they will send the signed document to your home University for the final approval.
Extension of stay
- If you wish to request an extension of your study period at Ca’ Foscari University, you need to provide the Welcome Unit ( firstname.lastname@example.org) with the authorization from your home university (an e-mail will be enough).
Before leaving Venice
In order to officially close your Overseas period in Venice, you have to take an appointment with the Welcome Unit.
The Welcome Unit staff will give you your final official certificate.
Transcript of Records
As soon as your exam results have been registered at the end of your study period in Venice, you will receive your Transcript of Records from the Welcome Unit, which will include a conversion of your grades according to the ECTS scale.
The ECTS grades are generated automatically upon the creation of your transcript by taking into account the results obtained by all of the students who have taken the same exam at Ca' Foscari in the last three years.
Here is an example of how the calculation works: Mario Lopez received a grade of 19/30 on the "English Language" exam associated with the code LT005P.
The percentage of Ca' Foscari students who obtained the same grade on the same exam in the last three years is 2%, which on the ECTS scale is interpreted as an E.
The formula used in this conversion process can be found in the ECTS guide published by the European Commission.
Incoming students with disability
Incoming students with disabilities / LD can count on the support of the Welcome Unit.
Partner universities must report the students’ disability once they are nominated by submitting a declaration in English, containing the details about the services offered at the home university to support the students.
During the online registration on Ca’ Foscari website the incoming students will have to attach the following documents:
- Certificate stating the disability / LD;
- Declaration provided by the home university.
The Welcome Unit will report the situation to Ca’ Foscari Disabled Students Service, which can provide the following services:
- Assistance during the exam, Tutor support (if requested);
- Additional study time or mediation with professors in agreeing on the most suitable exam modality;
- Initial support in familiarizing with the university buildings where the students’ lessons are held, the libraries and the administration offices;
- Reservation of seats in the classrooms and potential help in obtaining the study materials and lectures notes.
Last update: 04/12/2019