Master of Research in Science and Management of Climate Change
2nd-level Master of Research
Didactic activities and calendar of lessons
tel. (+39) 041 234 7743
Enrolment procedures and internships
Presentation and Objectives
Climate change is one of the main challenges facing the planet's population. The World Economic Forum ranks climate change and the failure to implement effective policies among the top five economic risks for the business world. Its impacts are pervasive and deeply interrelated with all aspects of our society. Hence the need to prepare professional leaders with a high-level scientific profile thanks to the integration of the Master with the PhD Programme in Science and Management of Climate Change.
The Master of Research in Science and Management of Climate Change is a 1-year programme aimed at creating experts capable of managing the complex and multi-faceted dimensions of the grand challenges posed by climate risk by integrating the scientific and socio-economic aspects in a unique programme. It prepares experts with a broad and thorough scientific background in economics, climate science, valuation techniques, and with specific modelling skills.
During this Master you will learn to understand and synthesize the biophysical and socio-economic nature of climate change, evaluate the socio-economic implications of climate change risks, and design innovative policy solutions and risk management strategies. You will acquire familiarity with a suite of methodological, analytical, statistical and modelling tools you will be able to apply in order to:
- Explain the physical and economic nature of climate change and their uncertainty
- Assess the socio-economic impacts of climate change, their costs and benefits
- Estimate and manage climate change risk
- Analyze, evaluate, and design innovative climate policy solutions
- Assess the economic costs and benefits of mitigation and adaptation policies and projects
- Conceive transformational pathways in the context of sustainable development
- Synthesize and communicate the different dimensions of climate change and their uncertainties to different users
|Presentation a.y. 2020/2021 2nd Call||274 K|
|Open day - Presentation Enrica De Cian||614 K|
|Open day - Presentation Gabriella Chiellino e-Ambiente [IT]||2.19 M|
Syllabus and learning activities
The Third edition of the Master 2020/2021 will have a new curriculum, articulated in 11 courses corresponding to a total of 66 credits (350 hours of lessons, lab activities with tools and software, design and presentation of individual/group projects).
The Third Edition 2020/2021 curriculum will be articulated into two streams:
- Climate Economics and Finance: Decision theory, Climate-economy modelling, Applied environmental economics, Climate policies, Climate finance
- Climate Modelling and Impact Assessments: Chemo-dynamics, Climate change and environmental quality, Ice Sheets and Glaciers in the Climate System, Risk Assessment and Decision Support System for Environmental Impacts of Climate Change, Adaptive Management of Natural Resources and Agricultural Systems, Climate Damage Modelling and Assessment
The first period includes a common curriculum and offers 6 basic courses, Foundations:
Mathematics, Statistics, Econometrics and Machine learning, Climate dynamics, Environmental and climate economics, Climate of the past.
Thanks to the Master’s inclusion in a network of many international organizations and local entities, students will have the opportunity to do their internships choosing among a wide range of institutes, organizations, national and international companies.
How to enrol
|Ranking list and scholarships - 2nd call [ITA]||94 K|
|Ranking list and scholarships [ITA]||51 K|
|Call for applications a.y. 2020/2021||382 K|
The online procedure involves two stages, each of which is obligatory in order to participate in the selection process:
- registration on the university website (www.unive.it/registrazione), after which candidates are assigned a username and password with which the candidate will be able to access the reserved area for the next phase of the application.
If you already have these login credentials for the reserved area (for example former university students), this phase is skipped.
- fill in the application form, accessing the reserved area and following the route https://esse3.unive.it, Menù > eng > Login
During the online procedure the candidate must attach the following documents in electronic format:
- self-certification confirming that you have the necessary qualification;
- curriculum vitae;
- photocopy of a valid ID document;
- any other documents that may be requested for admission to the chosen Master.
At the end of the online procedure, the candidate will receive an email confirming that the application has been submitted.
Enrolment fee and study support
The enrolment fee corresponds to € 6.000 (in two instalments).
Study grants are available covering the whole or part of the enrolment fee. Students can finance their course through facilitated loans [IT] granted by banking institutions affiliated with the University.
Please note that there is also the opportunity to obtain a voucher for post-university education by Regione Puglia and to obtain the scholarship through the "Bando di Concorso INPS [IT]" or through the Partnership for Knowledge initiative - PfK.
Total places available: 15
Duration of programme: one year
Period: September 2020 - September 2021
Teaching method: classroom lectures
Location: Ca’ Foscari Challenge School - Venezia Marghera (VEGA Venice Scientific Technological Park - Porta dell'Innovazione Building) / San Giobbe Campus
Last update: 12/01/2021