Remote access to electronic resources SBA Resources and Digital Library (BDA): consult databases, e-journals and e-books from home
To all its students, teachers, researchers and workers, the University Library System (SBA) makes available electronic resources with restricted access, such as databases, electronic periodicals and e-books, which can be consulted:
- from the University network (library workstations, cable and Wi-Fi connections)
- remotely (from home or in any case outside of the Ca' Foscari network) using the University login credentials
To access electronic resources remotely, you must be recognised as a member of Ca' Foscari and thus obtain all the related rights. This operation can be performed using one of these tools:
- VPN Risorse Bibliografiche
- IDEM GARR
as illustrated below.
The most effective tool currently able to guarantee access to all the resources of the portal cerCa' is the VPN.
Always check on the Databases page under Access which tool you need to consult the resource of your interest remotely.
Some databases are only accessible on the local network in the libraries: in these cases, the name of the library appears under Access on the Databases page.
For more information or in the event of problems accessing electronic resources:
1) VPN Risorse Bibliografiche
To access electronic resources (databases, ebooks, ejournals etc.) remotely, you must use the specific connection method "VPN Risorse Bibliografiche" and set the relevant parameters following the instructions on the university VPN page. (Please pay attention: "VPN Ca' Foscari" connection method is for other university services and activities and does not allow access to libraries' electronic resources).
Access to the Ca' Foscari University proxy is strictly personal and allowed only for users who have university login credentials.
The two parameters to be set are:
- proxy address: proxy.unive.it
- port: 3128
The proxy requires a different configuration depending on the operating system used. The attached file illustrates the settings to be adopted in the main operating systems.
3) IDEM GARR
With this tool, you don't have to set the Proxy and don't need to download any software. Authentication takes place directly from the consulted resource platform, entering your Ca' Foscari username and password, selecting:
- access via Institution or Shibboleth
- Italian IDEM Federation
- Università Ca' Foscari Venezia
Rules for the use of electronic resources
The use of electronic resources with restricted access is defined in the contracts signed by the University with the publishers.
Electronic resources can be used by teachers, students, technical administrative staff and anyone linked to the University by a formal research and teaching relationship (visiting professors and occasional users admitted to library services are included).
Each user is personally responsible for compliance with the terms of the licence. Failure to comply with the clauses may lead to the interruption of access to electronic resources for the whole University and the application of possible penalties. Generally:
you are allowed to:
- view, download, print and save a copy of the search results
- view, download, print and save individual articles
- use the electronic resources for personal study, teaching or research, with the obligation of citing the source
the following are forbidden:
- systematically downloading entire files, volumes or significant portions of the material found
- disclosing to third parties usernames and passwords for accessing electronic resources
- using programs for downloading material automatically
- using the material found for profit or commercial purposes
- disseminating or transmitting the material found to unauthorised users
- sending the actual contents and articles to websites, editing, altering or creating derivative works without permission
Last update: 22/11/2023