Remote access to SBA electronic resources
Databases, electronic periodicals and e-books
To all its students, teachers, researchers and workers, the University Library System (SBA) makes available electronic resources with restricted access, such as databases, electronic periodicals and e-books, which can be consulted:
- from the University network (library workstations, cable and Wi-Fi connections)
- remotely (from home or in any case outside of the Ca' Foscari network) using the University login credentials
To access electronic resources remotely, you must be recognised as a member of Ca' Foscari and thus obtain all the related rights. This operation can be performed using one of these tools: VPN FortiClient, Proxy or IDEM/GARR, as illustrated below.
The most effective tool currently able to guarantee access to all the resources of the portal cerCa' is the VPN.
Always check on the Databases page under Access which tool you need to consult the resource of your interest remotely.
Some databases are only accessible on the local network in the libraries: in these cases, the name of the library appears under Access on the Databases page.
- Watch this YouTube video that briefly explains the instructions for remote access.
- In the event of problems accessing electronic resources, you can fill in the Help request form [ITA], specifying the resource and the type of problem encountered.
- For further support, consult the Guide on electronic resource access and use or take the Moodle course Access to University electronic resources [ITA].
1) VPN FortiClient
A specific connection method via FortiClient VPN is dedicated to electronic resources: VPN Risorse Bibliografiche.
Warning: this is a different tool from the University VPN.
How to set up VPN FortiClient on Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10
If you haven't already done so, download the following Fortinet FortiClient VPN installation file.
|Fortinet FortiClient VPN|
Installation file 6.0
Run the installation that you have just downloaded in the Downloads folder or in the folder you selected, by clicking on the FortiClientOnlineInstaller icon.
Then accept the terms of the licence, tick the box alongside Secure Remote Access SSL and IPSec VPN and wait for the installation process to be completed.
- After installing FortiClient, start up the application and then select REMOTE ACCESS in the left-hand menu
- Click on the gear icon in the top right and then select Add a new connection
- This opens a new window: select IPsec VPN. Then fill in the datasheet shown as follows (the items not shown can be left blank):
- Connection Name: VPN Risorse Bibliografiche
- Remote Gateway: bibliovpn.unive.it
- Authentication Method: select Pre-shared key and enter Unive1868 in the box below
- Using, where necessary, the very thin scroll bar on the right, go to Advanced Settings and click on the + icon
- Under the Phase 1 menu item, select the + icon
- Using, where necessary, the thin scroll bar on the right, go to Local ID and enter biblio-forte
- Using, where necessary, the thin scroll bar on the right, go to and deselect Dead Peer Detection
- Finally click on Save in the bottom right
After completing this set-up, to access the bibliographic resources, go back to the main FortiClient screen and select VPN Risorse Bibliografiche. In the VPN Name field, enter your institutional credentials (username and password) and click on Connect.
How to set up VPN FortiClient on MacOS
- Select the Apple icon in the top left and then Preferenze di Sistema
- This opens a new window: select the Rete icon
- This opens another new window: select the + button and fill in the datasheet shown as follows:
- Interface: VPN
- Tipo di VPN: Cisco IPSec
- Nome Servizio: VPN Risorse Bibliografiche
- Click on Create in the bottom right
- In the left-hand menu, select the newly created VPN and fill in the boxes in the central part of the window as follows:
- Indirizzo del server: bibliovpn.unive.it
- Nome account e password: enter your username (without @ unive.it or @ stud.unive.it), as provided by the University at the time of enrolment or recruitment and valid for access to all IT services (email, reserved area of the University website, etc.), and the updated password
- Click on Impostazioni autenticazione
This opens a new window, where you have to fill in the datasheet as follows:
- Segreto condiviso: Unive1868
- Nome gruppo: biblio-cisco
- Click on OK in the bottom right. Then in the main window, click on Apply in the bottom right.
After completing this set-up, to access bibliographic resources, select the VPN Risorse Bibliografiche connection and click on Connect.
Access to the Ca' Foscari University proxy is strictly personal and allowed only for users who have university login credentials.
The two parameters to be set are:
- proxy address: proxy.unive.it
- port: 3128
The proxy requires a different configuration depending on the operating system used. The attached file illustrates the settings to be adopted in the main operating systems.
3) IDEM GARR
With this tool, you don't have to set the Proxy and don't need to download any software. Authentication takes place directly from the consulted resource platform, entering your Ca' Foscari username and password, selecting:
- access via Institution or Shibboleth
- Italian IDEM Federation
- Università Ca' Foscari Venezia
Access from the University network
You can also access the electronic resources from the workstations in the library or even by connecting your device to the University network with the network cable or via Wi-Fi, subject to authentication using your Ca’ Foscari university login credentials.
Rules for the use of electronic resources
The use of electronic resources with restricted access is defined in the contracts signed by the University with the publishers.
Electronic resources can be used by teachers, students, technical administrative staff and anyone linked to the University by a formal research and teaching relationship (visiting professors and occasional users admitted to library services are included).
Each user is personally responsible for compliance with the terms of the licence. Failure to comply with the clauses may lead to the interruption of access to electronic resources for the whole University and the application of possible penalties. Generally:
you are allowed to:
- view, download, print and save a copy of the search results
- view, download, print and save individual articles
- use the electronic resources for personal study, teaching or research, with the obligation of citing the source
the following are forbidden:
- systematically downloading entire files, volumes or significant portions of the material found
- disclosing to third parties usernames and passwords for accessing electronic resources
- using programs for downloading material automatically
- using the material found for profit or commercial purposes
- disseminating or transmitting the material found to unauthorised users
- sending the actual contents and articles to websites, editing, altering or creating derivative works without permission
Last update: 23/09/2020